Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

I've just been recovering from real bad sciatic pain down one leg. Had to have a week off work. Never known pain like it. Could hardly walk anywhere and spent the week on the sofa. I'm not going to risk lifting my CPC out into the garden for a while!

Feel your pain mate (well kind of) just had a baby girl, so all this week when it's been crystal clear I've had to deal with my daughter. Not that I mind, but it's has been gorgeous the last week.....ah well least I've been getting some white light solar viewing done. Speaking of solar observing has anyone tried imaging the Sun with a webcam? Is it doable?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations mate! Well done. Good effort.

I did a bit of solar imaging using my 200P. Quite straightforward. You get some quite nice pics of the sun spots. There is an example on my flickr page. Didn't spend much time on it. I found it quite nice to be doing astronomy in the light where you could see everything and not tripping up over stuff. The only issue I had with imaging was I couldn't see the laptop screen in the garden sun so I had to look at the laptop under a blanket and reach out from under it to focus. Must have looked a right tool and got really hot !

Haha brilliant, I've observed the sun before (when weather and time permitted) just never tried imaging it before and I figure as I'm off work at the moment and it's quite nice through the day, might as well give it a shot. And thank you.

Hi guys,

Long time since I was on the forum and far too long since I met up with you all!

Work and weather are ruining my hobbies!

Does anyone know of a good spot for observing Saturn this time of year? Looking at Stellarium I won't see it until around August from my garden!

Thanks

Winscarr was good the other night mark , although it wasn't until midnight that it was high enough to get out of the thick lower atmosphere and get a clear view.

Closest to earth too by the end of this month so great time to be out.

Nice effort from Horbury Academy! Congratulations! I'm in Maynooth, just outside Dublin - amazingly silky dark skies, even though not far from the city. Brings home how bad it is in central Wakefield.... Shame I don't have a scope with me!

Good to see you back on Mark. Winscarr was great a couple of weeks ago - hope to go there again soon. Saturn should be pretty good there around midnight.

Missed an opportunity last night due to being at work as it was clear in the early hours.

I did manage to get out on the roof of one of the buildings at work and saw a couple of lyrids.

I'll try do the same tonight if I get chance just to see if I can pick out any of the lyrid meteor shower as it peaks tonight /tomorrow morning.

Picked up my new mount on Saturday, the reticule alignment is bang on...couldn't be any closer. Hopefully this mount will have less gremlins in than the last one. Also have arranged with green witch to swap my atik460ex ccd which is still new and used with the new atik 490ex which has just been released....so looking forward to first light with that.

Is anyone up for winscarr this week if we have clear skies ? Only night I can't do is Thursday as I'm taking the kids to see iron man :-)

I might be up for it on Wednesday night Paul but only after 9pm at the earliest as I'm working till 8.Depend's on the clouds too!

Mark yeah it is look back on this thread for the exact location photo with co-ordinates

I'm gonna see if I can get out this week as well, so if its clear Wednesday will try for Winscarr if I can get a pass.

glad you got scope sorted out Paul, and I must say I am a little jealous of your new CCD. My battery terminal clamps have arrived, the battery is keeping 10v charge ATM, so I want to check out what that might mean for me before I jump in and get a new one. I wonder if I could power the Maplins power tank from it whist using it to drive the scope, just for the mean time. It might mean a couple of extra hours. :grin: Damian if we do get out on Wednesday would you bring the lighter socket with the clamps so I could give it a go? Cheers mate.

oh and congrats stonemonkey, your life will never be the same again. :tongue:

P.s. glad you have a new mount Paul.Have you managed to have a go with it yet?

Not yet....I did all the 'home' scope setup last night so its ready to go. I might take it out tonight if its clear enough...but doesnt look promising. I stayed out for a bit last night to see the meteor shower but with the LP and moon I could hardly see anything.

Soupy let me know if you need or parts from me :-)

Not yet....I did all the 'home' scope setup last night so its ready to go. I might take it out tonight if its clear enough...but doesnt look promising. I stayed out for a bit last night to see the meteor shower but with the LP and moon I could hardly see anything.

Soupy let me know if you need or parts from me :-)

meant to say need 'help' or parts from me :-)

No problem's soupy I'll bring all the bit's up I have for you so one way or another we'll get your mount going.

I got out on the building roof at work and managed to see a couple of good meteors around 3am.

Nights again tonight so will take the opportunity to go out again if I get chance.

Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Could hardly see any stars with how bright the moon was last night so i wont be bothering before next week.scotland for bank holiday weekend so hopefully get another night in galloway

A friend and I was looking at doing a long weekend at Galloway at some point, just got to convince the wife now :D

soupy, if its only reading 10v after all this time its knackered.

was in the garage the other day and i have a spare leuisure battery, its not healthy enough to power the caravan for 2 days - but it holds full charge and would cope with powering your mount and laptop for an evening i would imagine.

yours if you wnt it. it'll need a couple of days on your trickle charger first, but should work fine if you want it.

Paul, would love any help offered and any parts you have spare would be greatly received as well. Nick the offer of battery is also much appreciated. Is this what they call Astronomy on the cheap? :grin: .

I can give you all some funds for the bits and pieces or you can have a few bottles of my rather potent home brew! Current flavour is blueberry cider :tongue: just let me know.

Soupy I'll agree with nick with the battery maybe with a battery conditioner it may come back to life but 10v after all this time means its past its best.

You can have the bit's for nothing as I don't need them and I'll solder them together so you can build a basic power tank by just drilling a couple of holes and the use of your battery terminals.

If all else fails you can always plug into mine tomorrow night if we manage to get out as its fully charged and will power both scope mounts easily.

I'll have a sample of some of your home brew though ;-)

A friend and I was looking at doing a long weekend at Galloway at some point, just got to convince the wife now :D

I'm looking at booking on the galloway star party in November.Damian

Paul, would love any help offered and any parts you have spare would be greatly received as well. Nick the offer of battery is also much appreciated. Is this what they call Astronomy on the cheap? :grin: .

I can give you all some funds for the bits and pieces or you can have a few bottles of my rather potent home brew! Current flavour is blueberry cider :tongue: just let me know.

i'll dig the battery out this evening and you can always pick it up after school on your way home tomorrow or friday - as i only live round the corner in south ossett. If you let me know I'll pm you my address and i will leave it under the front hitch of the caravan.

hmmm blueberry cider, sounds yum!

Archived