wakefield area

crashtestdummy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did anyone go out last night then?

I popped out for half an hour and it was rubbish, everything was really dim - either that or the jack daniels turned down the gain on my eyeballs...... the moon was lovely (as usual), but after 5 minutes of not being able to see any neb on orion and the plieades looking washed out, I went back in.

I went out to Lake District to a very remote place after the moon set. Well to decsribe it in one word .... outstanding.

This is the first time when I had my scope in nearly unpolluted skies and the 2 hour drive paid off.

First time ever I clearly saw spiral arms in M51 and M101, not just a hint but clear structure with light peaks and troughs. Amazing view.

I also learned a valuable lesson on how the shielded horizon view can improve contrast in the sky - it beautifully masks any residual LP glow (in my case mountains bodies all around).

Or the patience of a saint as you save for the kit :D I would go for the 200PDS and at least the EQ-5 mount. You'll have good start if you do decide to do AP.

The EQ5 is no good for deep space imaging. At least HEQ5 needed. Should be fine for planetary stuff though

Thanks to everyone in the dob and eq mount camps for their advice. I think I've settled on the mount and scope route so just a case of picking them up and joining you guys for a few pointers as to where I should be aiming it to see some great stuff.

What are you going for?

Lets put it this way. As for doing astronomy, we are stuffed by light pollution. If you want a decent night of observing without it you will have to head up to Grassington in the Pennines. Going to Emley Moor transmitter area is bad. In fact it sends the light right at you as you have not only Wakefield, but huddersfield and the lights from Barnsley shining at you over the hill.

final4c1.jpg

Either Scarbrough area or Pennines. Either way you are not going to get a decent view of the night sky anywhere south of Leeds according to the map. So it is pack a tent and head off up to the Pennines. If you can not buy a light filter to get rid of the sodium light the road lights produce. Either way, we are not getting the benefit of the hobby.

Nice map notaclue makes me want to move back home to Ireland.

got out to back garden last night views were not too bad, but obvious haze around. Tried out modded ASDA webcam and managed to capture some low quality Jupiter avi's as well as some very nice moon terminator avi's. :grin:

Sam going for the SW200PDS and HEQ5 PRO got em for a song second hand tell you about it later once I've picked it up yipee can't wait!

Nice to see nephalem made it to winscar and it sounds promising also skiorh had a good night by the sounds

Nice map notaclue makes me want to move back home to Ireland.

:grin:

Few years back was in south Scotland. Saw more of Orion in that village than I did here in Wakefield. And we have lost more stars in wakefield over the last 15 years since I moved here. Still trying to find them. I think they may be down the back of the sofa.

same here - back yard and have a play with my asda webcam. Then when it gets too cold I'll go and start playing with the kernel + drivers on my android tablet - in the continuing efforts to get it to recognise the webcam so i can run capture software and the webcam straight off my 10" tablet and transfer the resulting avi to the PC for processing.

ive heard some good things but tbh for me there's a few darker spots that are way easier to get too

There probably are but i have yet to find them :-) When at winscar last night I felt uneasy being on my own and would rather go somewhere where there are like minded people.

Archived