SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

Winscarr's forecast is looking good for tonight if anybody's interested.

I will be up there i think, bring midge repellant. My mate walks his dog up there, he got eaten alive yesterday evening apparently.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What time at Winscarr? Might be able to make it....

Bedfordshire was frustration itself: all set up, polar & 3-star aligned, etc, M13 beautifully in the eyepiece to show the in-laws, and within 2 minutes the sky was covered in cloud. Hope I've not become cursed!!

Aye gotta make the most of this great summer we're having Kieran but no scope as no room in the car just binos... But just realised I forgot camera tripod, will have to prop it up to get a few star trails shots

been a bit of a midgey-fest this summer pretty much everywhere! only place i aint been eaten was kielder, famous for its midgies !!!!!!

drinking way too much wine to be going out and about, had my new 12" dob over a month and spent more time looking at the sun through its little 50mm filtered hole than looking at stars....go figure!

gonna get an all nighteer in at some point soon at somewhere dark, even if it kills me. might even say sod it and drive up to kielder aand use the obsy hand standing and sleep in thhe car the next dgay if we geet a goodd forecast oone weekend soon.

Just had a couple of hours up Winscar, not bad for midges and the DEET spray I just bought worked really well at keeping them from eating me alive.

The moon washed a lot of the sky out due to the thin hazy cloud cover. The yard was lit up as well which didnt help either but I got some gazing done at least.

Has anyone ever tried the top car park off Dunford road instead of the little one near the white gate? the compound lights are getting intrusive after the floodlights seem to have been repositioned slightly.

Well just got bk home after a full night at winscarr had a superb night all in all, started of bad as there was thousands of midggies eating me alive couldn't breath for the getting in my eyes, nose, mouth I had to where my hat and hoody and wrap a t-shirt across my face, my telescope was covered in them my car was full of em it's was horrible but I grinned an bared it an about 11 o'clock they settled down. Got some good imaging done managed 30mins on M20 60mins on M17 30mins on M2 30mins on M15 and an hour on M97 right before my batt died also done time lapse of sunset and got loads of wide field shots of the reservoir and all surrounding areas can't wait to process all these should keep me busy for a while. As I drove home Jupiter was standing well out through all the street lights it's really high up now. Well gonna go to bed now and will post images as soon as I process them.

I wish I had the time to get good observing sessions in :(

I manged about an hour last night, but couldn't see sod all even though it was that clear because of the LP. Wakefield is terrible. At 11pm I could read my star chart outside.

Well just looked through my widefield shots taken last night, did shots of lots of views around the Reservoir and there all great but slighty out of focus so not basically uploadable but will upload a few so you can see how lovley the place really is a night, will post them later if somebody can tell me how to post them on here without having to put them on my flickr page and post a link to them.

On the other hand here's my Time Lapse video of me setting up and doing my alignment last night overlooking the reservoir note the hat, hood, facemask due to thousand's of Midgies.

Winscarr Scope setup.26.08.13
ENJOY!!!!!

Glad you are all getting at least some observing done. I have beautiful clear dark skies here in Rutland, Milky Way looks great had bins out and got M24 star field M26, M11, M25, M23, and numerous other fuzzy blobs around Sagittarius which were too numerous to count and identify! Excellent, only wish I had scope with me. Also managed the nova but again was pushed to identify it clearly.

you got some great times in for those pics Kieran look forward to the post processing efforts! :smiley:

Archived