SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shame you're not having much luck Rich with that new monster and everyone else seemingly enjoying the otherwise patchy skies.

I have keys for Parker road for after the meeting Monday night so fingers crossed for some clear spells, i should be good for a couple of hours if anybody else wants to stop but will have to def leave before midnight, got an early start Tuesday.

Managed to get out on my local footy field (1min walk) in Woodlesford last night, it was clear with light cloud from 21:30 until about 23:45 when I packed up. Got a few shots in the direction of Cassiopeia, testing out my Astronomik CLS filter in the Canon 1000D.

Would be interested in potential meet ups in & around the Leeds/Wakefield area.

yeah them filters for Canon are worth every penny i dont image without mine.

Anyways had a good session myself last night imaged Dumbbell and Iris Neb will post pic's tomoz after final editing on the other hand i've finished my final edit of Orion Nebula from Sutton Bank Fri night and here it is.

M42 Orion. Nebula 2013.08.30

Well, I can't top those images but here is my result of drunken persistence on Tuesday night, and my first attempt at stacking/processing.

a>

It's a bit weird at the top. And there isn't much to it. (Only 10, 5 second subs).

That's how they are Sammy they have the Nebulosity gases surrounding them also if you notice even tho using a refractor I still managed difraction spikes on the large one :)

aha! That's the reason. Thanks.

I think the dumbbell pic is great - really nice colour. Stars look nice and sharp with 10 min subs. Nice one.

Kieran - the pic of the Iris nebula is really good. I really like the different colours of the stars as well. I noticed there is a dark region with no stars around the nebula - is that due to a dark dense region of the nebula/gas (that doesn't show up in the image), blocking out the star field?

Yeah it's possible sammy if you look at my image of the cocoon nebula there is a same effect but like a sperm shape all around it. The Iris nebula is acctully a cluster in the centre and there's a mag 6 star in the centre that causes a reflection hence what causes the surrounding region to light up and make it as lovely as it looks.

I've got the Sky at Night calender on my office wall. The september picture is one of Damian Peach's shots - its a panel of photos of Mars showing the full face of the planet. Its a set of utterly stunning photos really to think an amateur can capture such detail.

I just paid a visit to Green Witch in Birstall. What an excellent shop. The manager Lee was extremely helpful - offering to loan me eye-pieces to try out. Very knowledgable.

Anyway he told me they are having an event on the 2nd November to celebrate an anniversary of their opening where they are asking local astronomy societies if they want set up a stall and they'll have loads of scopes set up etc.

He also said they do a lot of support for local societies with discounts for members and events such as 'collimation days' for example, dedicated to specific societies. He offered me a discount even though I wasn't yet a member of WADAS!

thought that might be of interest. He said he had been surprised that there was no wakefield astro society and was keen to support us.

sam

1378550985' post='2036226']

Where is the shop Sam? I had a look for it a while back while passing through Birstall but couldn't find it.

As you drive up the hill towards the Birstall retail park/IKEA etc take the left at the traffic lights that takes you into the town centre. Just up the road, about 100 yards, the shop is on the right.

I just paid a visit to Green Witch in Birstall. What an excellent shop. The manager Lee was extremely helpful - offering to loan me eye-pieces to try out. Very knowledgable.

Anyway he told me they are having an event on the 2nd November to celebrate an anniversary of their opening where they are asking local astronomy societies if they want set up a stall and they'll have loads of scopes set up etc.

He also said they do a lot of support for local societies with discounts for members and events such as 'collimation days' for example, dedicated to specific societies. He offered me a discount even though I wasn't yet a member of WADAS!

thought that might be of interest. He said he had been surprised that there was no wakefield astro society and was keen to support us.

sam

I bought my scope from there, I found Lee to be honest, helpful and exceedingly generous of his time to answer all the stupid newbie questions I had. I have no shame in admitting I'm a bit old fashioned preferring to visit a real brick and mortar establishment knowing that if anything goes wrong, it's a short trip to the other side of the hill with the scope in the back of the car.

Lee also lent me a hyperion zoom eyepiece to try out whilst my others were on the way, he made a definate future sale as I will be purchasing one as soon as funds allow.

Archived