Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weather focasts are confusing,3 different forecasts for each area are all different(AccuWeather, metoffice,BBC weather).Hawes was first choice then haltwistle then kirkbymoorside with the latter being the only one with a fully good for cast but nowhere bear as good darkness as the others :( hate trip planning with weather forecasts,always ends up a wasted night

Been on a ride out to winscar this evening and Kieran was right about the midges up there.

Thought someone had lit a fire and it was smoke in the low sun but as we got near it was billions of the hungry little blighters got eaten alive!

Shame as it is a gorgeous clear night at present! I may do some patio astronomy tonight.

Typical, it clouded over when I got in from the pub! Semi drunken persistence made me carry on so I tried a few shots around Cassiopeia (which it turns out is too high for my tripod) and then up around the general area of Altair just to see how it came out. Took a few darks and flats so I'm going to try and out it all together tonight.

had an excellent evening in the back yard last night!

even with the stupid LP and a street light just under aquila and ophiucus (right over Sagg), i managed my first view of the wild duck and M26! By heck, isnt M11 pretty!

then had a scout about cygnus and Lyra and bagged all the messiers and a few NGCs there and decided to finsih the night with M13.

could i find it? could i ploppy-plop-plops! I have absolutely NO IDEA why i couldnt find it, but try as i might it just wouldnt get in the eye piece. must have spent 20 minutes panning about the area with my new 32mm revelation astro and not once did it pop in to view. Disgusted I put everything away and before walking back in the house had a look through the bins. thats right, you guessed it - 5 seconds i had it in the bins.

Nick

ps. M29 - boooooring. About as pointless as M40...

but i have realised one thing with the new dob, i desperately need to sort out an adjustable chair or stick seat. wasnt too bad with the newt on the eq mount, as the ep only moved 12" up and down and my stool worked great. but the dob really is at an awkward height at anything other than zenith and has almost 2 foot of height change. Back was breaking before i packed away.

Also, has anyone ever used fake tear eye drops? I keep forgetting to blink when observing and my eyes end up sore. thinking of giving myself a dose before observing and then afterwards to try and alleviate it.

Managed to get out on my local footy field (1min walk) in Woodlesford last night, it was clear with light cloud from 21:30 until about 23:45 when I packed up. Got a few shots in the direction of Cassiopeia, testing out my Astronomik CLS filter in the Canon 1000D.

Would be interested in potential meet ups in & around the Leeds/Wakefield area.

I'm gettung very green with envy of you lot, I've not been out in ages because work or the weather or other unforseen issues. Might try an hour or so tonight. Kinda hoping the weather will be ok on Monday for a quick session after the meeting.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Archived