Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Very Battered looking HEQ5

Earl

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the scope was kept outdoor and rolled in the mud a couple of times. With the mount and OTA in that condition, I reckon the optics will be full of fungi, if not full of water.

I wonder what's the scrap value for all the metals in that OTA and mount.

I just went to meet the lady and have a look at those scopes. The HEQ5 and 120 is just as bad as the photos. Kept outdoor under a plastic sheet.

However, the two Newtonians aren't bad at all. Some bolts are rusty, the optics are dusty and the tube has a lot of spider webs inside. They just need a good clean. The 10" has a single speed Crayford which may required some adjustment, the 8" R&P feels like the standard SW R&P with Synta glue. The Newtonains were probably kept in a shed, the dob mount has disintegrated. I never realised you can grow so much algae on chipboard. The C6N is 'new', but should be treated as used due to storage condition.

She has a lot of accessories. 3 9x50 finders and 1 right angle 9x50 kept indoor in good condition. There were also a few Canon SLR adapter, a lens scope converter, a 2" diagonal, a 2" GSO plossl and a box full of entry level eyepieces and a few unusual anodised bronze tube Orion plossl.

There was C8 with CGE dovetail mounted on a CG5 GOTO with adapter, and a ST80+QHY5 (or Orion's equivalent). They are stored in a shed/observatory with a roll off roof. They are dusty, but a good clean should do the trick.

I told her about Astrobuysell. It's worth keeping an eye out. The condition is slightly worse than your typical used scope and accessories and the lady doesn't know much about astronomy, so it's worth having a look first before you buy and don't expect detailed description.

I bought a 9x50 finder :icon_scratch:

I paid her the normal used price. I reckon I could have got it for a lot less if I was being dishonest ... It just didn't feels right to offer them a price lower than average. If she was an astronomer, I might have tried a bit of bargaining, but facing someone who will accept whatever you offered them is a bit different.

Good on you Keith. It seems the story behind these sales is the items were her Dad's, and he's recently died so she's clearing stuff. The HEQ5/frac is pretty knackered, but it's still good to see honesty with whatever is bought from her.

Archived