Hello from Tonbridge, Kent

Arny

Hi everyon,

I have looking in the sky wondering what things are up there for years. After the last StarGazers Live program I decided to buy a telescope and see if I could see what they could see.

I bought a Skywatcher 150p and I can just about get it to point in the right direction (the telescope!).

I saw Jupiter the other night just a white sphere with 4 white dots (moons I suppose). I looked at the moon too, a bit bright to look at but isn't it a bit battered.

Arnold

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Arnold, The SW 150P is a nice scope, did you get the dob or on a EQ mount? Which eye piece did you use on Jupiter? The dots were definately moons!! The moon is amazing to look at, but can be bright, if you find yourself drawn to it fairly frequently, you could get a moon filter to tone down the brightness. Cheers :icon_salut: CW

Hi Catweazel,

I have got an EQ mount with a motor tracking device that's not quick enough for Jupiter. I used a Super 10mm, I'm thinling of getting a 3x tal barlow to go with it.

Arny

Hi Arny, the barlow would help, but not sure if 3x or 2x would be better? Maybe others here could help recommend. I would think 3x might be a bit heavy on a 150P with the type of EP's you will most likely be using. A 2x barlow will effectively double up each EP; for example 10 mm would become 5mm when used with barlow, that way you only need to get 2 to 3 EP's and the barlow to get a set with a decent range.

Hi and welcome from nearby North Kent.

Congrats on your scope - a good choice. Moon filters are not expensive in order to enhance viewing (well.... reduce the glare).

It might be worth getting a pocket sky atlas for quick reference if you haven't already got one. That way you should be able to start finding some deep sky objects (clusters, galaxies and nebulae).

Archived