SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from Mnsfield Notts

multibit

Hi All,

Thought I'd pop in to say a big thanks to this site along with all the posters for all the great info and advice.

I've been browsing the net to give me some idea's what to get for my first scope,something not too large and suitable for bringing along when we go camping. Anyway I settled on the Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT which I brought from Rother valley optics on Saturday. I thought this was a great shop with excellent service!

I wanted a travel case so had a look in the local Maplin, the most suitable thing I could find size wize was a large flight case

Large Storage Case : Flight & Rugged Cases : Maplin Electronics

Its a little taller than needed but seems to house the scope, eyepieces etc ok

scope.jpg

Unfortunately I've not been able to try the scope yet because of it snowing , hopefully I might get out tonight.

I made a lead up with spade connectors to DC socket to allow use of a 12v Yuasa battery as an external supply.

I'm thinking of getting a few better eyepieces, going by the reviews on here I was thinking of giving the BST's a go. What would be the best size mainly to try out first? say 8mm ,12mm or a 25mm? I've read that the supplied EP's are not that great.

Thanks ,

Leo

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Leo,

Welcome to SGL from another Mansfielder. The BST's are great value and work well, as you have a high focal ratio scope it is not as hard on the ep as a f6 or f4.

Local group that meets at two dark sites can be found here : - East Midlands Stargazers

Come along and have a look through our ep's and see what suits you best !.

Cheers

Hi Leo, welcome to SGL. I thought that the Celestron eyepieces were superior to the SW ones, so it may be worth giving them a good try out before replacing them. If you can get to a astronomy group event and have a look at some different ones, it would make life a lot easier. for an extra eyepiece to the 9 & 25 mm ones, it might be worth either getting a 15mm size or, if you want to look at things other than moon & planets, get a 32mm, which will give you nice wide field views (I have the GSO 32mm Plossl, which is a nice eyepiece, and not expensive). Good luck with your new scope, and clear skies :D CW

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Nice to see theres a few other Mansfielders on here, a local group meetup would be good sometime, must look into it :icon_salut:

Well soon as I set the scope up outside it clouded over , I managed to get a brief look at the moon, the 9mm EP seemed a little soft compared to the 25mm one. Its now way to cloudy to see anything tonight so will try again tomorrow.

Couldn't resist so ordered a 8mm BST from Sky's the limit , be interesting to see how it compares against the Celestron EP

Hi Leo, welcome to SGL. I thought that the Celestron eyepieces were superior to the SW ones, so it may be worth giving them a good try out before replacing them. If you can get to a astronomy group event and have a look at some different ones, it would make life a lot easier. for an extra eyepiece to the 9 & 25 mm ones, it might be worth either getting a 15mm size or, if you want to look at things other than moon & planets, get a 32mm, which will give you nice wide field views (I have the GSO 32mm Plossl, which is a nice eyepiece, and not expensive). Good luck with your new scope, and clear skies :) CW

Thanks, I was a little quick and ordered an 8mm BST :icon_salut: I'll probably get a 15mm next.

Will have a search around for a GSO 32mm Plossl.

All advice is much appreciated.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Nice to see theres a few other Mansfielders on here, a local group meetup would be good sometime, must look into it :icon_salut:

Well soon as I set the scope up outside it clouded over , I managed to get a brief look at the moon, the 9mm EP seemed a little soft compared to the 25mm one. Its now way to cloudy to see anything tonight so will try again tomorrow.

Couldn't resist so ordered a 8mm BST from Sky's the limit , be interesting to see how it compares against the Celestron EP

Hi id be up for that,I often go to my mates also on here (todd8137) at tibby its nice and dark there and theres a good dark site 5 mins from his house you are welcome to join us anytime as its very light polluted where i am

Hi Leo and welcome to the forum. Great scope and case - I must say, looks very professional the way you have packed it all in there, reminds me of the film "The Day of the Jackal" starring our very own Mr Fox! Better be careful where you point that scope.:icon_salut::D

Clear skies

James

hi Leo and welcome to sgl ,just round the corner at tibshelf theres a lot local to you and a lot of people you may want to take a look at the EMS WEBSITE

East Midlands Stargazers

they have a few dark sites and meet up at dark sites am sure they would make you welcome and if you took your scope to one of the meets you may get the chance to try lots of eps in your cp,its a great way to meet people and have a look a dif eps

cheers pat

ps come join in at the ems website theres great bunch of guys and gals ,just like all the great people here on sgl

Archived