Hello from St Helens, UK.

jon1000

I have been using this site for about a week now, getting lots of advice from all of the pro's, I appreciate all of the help and advice that everyone is giving and I hope that in future it will me myself offering advice to all of the newbies that joing in a few years, of course I am still learning at the moment.

My name is Jon, I am 26 and from St Helens, UK. When I was about 6 years old I got my first telescope as a Christmas present and at that's age I didn't reall know what I was doing and as a result it didn't get used much, but from that Christmas I was always interested in what was out there in space, last year I watched the BBC stargazing live program on tv and it got me thinking about it again and then again this year I watched the first 2 of the 3 live shows as I was in work for the third I recorded it and watched it later.

Last week I began to look for a telescope to buy, I wanted a Goto scope so I searched online for some reviews and advice and this stargazing lounge popped up on almost all of my searches. I used the advice of the site members to determine which telescope to buy, I found the skywatcher 1145p and began to check out the reviews and I advice I found quite often was to buy the 130p as a Goto starter telescope, so, On 31/01/2012, I jumped in my car and drove the 80 miles to go and pick one up from my shop of choice in Wales (I didn't want to have it sent in the post). I drove home and assembled the scope and waited for the dark skies to arrive, on my first attempt I couldn't get the telescope to align to the stars to use the Goto mode but I did get some good views of the moon and Jupiter with 4 of its moons, I know that is pretty basic stuff but now after about 4 sessions out under the night sky I know many more stars and how to easily find them, I didn't even know how to find polaris a week ago.

Anyway, thank you to everyone that has helped me getting to grips with everything.

Jon

Archived