Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scopes'n'skies - worried about purchase

Hi everyone

I ordered a GSO 1.5x and 2x Barlow (GSO GSO 1.25" 2x (and 1.5x) Barlow lens) from Scopes n Skies and what I received doesn't look like the pic at all, and now (following seeing loads of complaints about them) I'm worried that I've been sold a cheap barlow. There isn't even a manufacturer mark or brand name anywhere on it. Granted the shell looks like the one in the pic (minus the branding) but the removeable lense piece doesn't look like the one in the pic either. Does anyone have any advice or could I actually have a GSO barlow, just an 'unbranded one' ?

:)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As GSO make optics for several people it is hard to say.

S&S could simply have purchased a number of GSO barlows and specified no branding, or bought ones with no branding on them.

Catch is still a GSO, just no obvious proof.

The GSO site doesn't actually specify a 1.5x barlow, just a 2x.

Guan Sheng Optical

By the way the one pictured may be one of their better ones, just good business sense to display an upper quality one. Even if the standard item isn't quite the same.

Afraid that the branding on the outside is easily changed for whoever wants what. Still would have thought that GSO would have had their name on even a blank barlow, simply it is advertising for them.

Suppose the question really is how does it work?

Hi Kheldar

Would you consider £47.49 a good price for a perfectly generic Barlow? :) Honestly though! It the first accessory I've bought for my lil Celestron Astromaster 114 reflector and I wouldn't know what to consider cheap, middle of the road or expensive-good-quality

The principle is simple, you are entitled to the item you requested and for what you paid for. It should be cleary stated in their terms and conditions their specifi issues in relation to the contractual sale as to what they do if they do not have what you require.

The trades description act gives you protection as do the distant selling regulations for buying through the internet. Plain and simple, you are entitled by law to a refund if the goods you buy are not what they claim to be, be it in name or whatever. If ever possible, buy your goods with a credit card as well. Not to go to town as they have agreed a refund, however, were you charged postage? if so request that back too. Good for you for standing your ground, if we allow bad, we get bad, and we have rights to not have to accept it.

I agree with proflight. If a company does not have exactly what you order in stock then they really should not be sending out a similar/substitute product without consulting you first. I have had my first buying experience with SnS/Astronomy and Nature Centre and not likely to be a repeat customer.

Sorry Mods. Please feel free to edit my post if you so see fit to do so. I dont mean/want to start a bashing war. I just think if a company has bad selling practices then they should be brought to light.

p.s.~~~for around £30 you can buy a TAL 2x barlow (if you can find one) which is about the best low cost barlow on the market. I think a 3X TAL (more readily available) would be too much for your 114 scope.

This company puzzles me.

I ordered two colour filters and a pair of binoculars from them a couple of years back. I never did get a satisfactory pair of binos. Just cheap and nasty things. They didn't have the colour filters I wanted so without asking just sent me two different colour ones. The ones I ordered were branded ones and the ones I received were unbranded and absolute rubbish in which the filter glass was not fitted correctly and were loose and rattling about. Communication with them was almost impossible. Took days to actually get to talk to someone who I have to say was very pleasant. However, one of the replacement filters I received was again the wrong colour but at least they were the branded ones and very good quality. The second or third pair of Binos I received were so bad they went straight in the bin as I didn't have the time or patience to bother trying to contact them again. Lesson learned, I will never have anything to do with them again.

Strangely, others have had several dealings with them and highly recommend them.

I can't work them out!

Hi

I've purchased three items from them, a 2.5 x Astro Engineering barlow, a 4 x Astro Engineering imagemate and some bits and bobs from the astroboot.

It's been a mixed bag on service from them.

2.5 x barlow was stated as in stock, but two weeks after ordering I was told "out of stock". Eventually received almost five weeks after placing order !

And yet I ordered the 4 x imagemate over the Christmas/New Year period and had a four day turnaround ??

Astroboot purchase was just as quick.

While Astro Engineering products may not be the best on the market, they are quite flexible in their use (camera adapter combinations etc..) so over all with the price point I'm quite happy.

I think if Scopes 'n' skies could tighten up on their customer service a bit more it would make a huge difference.

Neil

It might be a kind of 'trade shorthand' to use the term GSO for entirely unbranded products made by GSO. I do think this is the case, actually. It does, however, need to be made clear. Note the transparency of FLOs description of special offer products. It can and should be done that way.

Olly

Hi Kheldar

Would you consider £47.49 a good price for a perfectly generic Barlow? :D Honestly though! It the first accessory I've bought for my lil Celestron Astromaster 114 reflector and I wouldn't know what to consider cheap, middle of the road or expensive-good-quality

Typo on the price there?

I consider the price in the page you linked to, to be "about right" for a generic/GSO Barlow yes. Personally, I wouldn't of recommend it :clouds1:

As above, if you can find stock the TAL is hard to beat.

If you are not happy with the product, I would definitely return it for a refund. I too have heard many people saying they have received items that differ from those ordered. I have only bought once from Scopes n Skies and it was a SW130p, luckily I had no problems with it, I wish it was out of stock, they may have sent me a 150p instead. On a serious note I would go by the suppliers reviews on SGL. Good luck.

I have only dealt with Scopes'n'Skies on one occasion and that was for a SW Heritage 76 (great little scope BTW). Good price free delivery to the North of Scotland (rare these days), FLO wanted £15 which bumped the price up dramatically, which was a pity because most of my other kit has been bought from FLO their customer service is superb if you speak to them (don't email, there's a black hole somewhere!) I did however by 2x and a 3x barlow from Alan at Skys the Limit and I am well chuffed with them, you can even try them out and if you don't like them, send them back.

Cheers

Thanks for all the posts guys. I actually had a go with it last night, through a very foggy sky, and I was actually impressed with the magnification of the moon. I might just forego the hassle of getting it back to skiesnscopes and keep it.

I know now to check here before I make any future purchases!

Archived