NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Evostar 120 - anywhere with stock?

We're dotting about beween threads, here! For budget AP and visual observing probably a 6 inch reflector like the Skywatcher on an HEQ5 mount. The 8 inch will go on the mount but won't like even the slightest bit of wind when imaging.

There are better options for AP (small apochromatic refractor) but they can't show much visually. I love refractors but big, good ones are expensive. Tell me about it...

The Tals have a good reputation amongs visual buffs but I can't comment on the AP potential. Limited, I suspect, being achromats and I don't know if field flatteners are available.

Olly

Thanks Olly. I'm going to go back and look at reflectors again on Monday. I should know by then what kind of delay to expect on the Evostar and decide if it's worth the wait.

I'm feeling very tempted by the Tal for sure.....

How about a Celestron Omni 120. That's effectively the same scope isn't it?

FLO sell the Celestron version. might be worth asking.

Thanks Graham. I was very interested in the Celestron but it seems it only comes with the CG-4 mount and no GOTO. Had it been available as just the OTA or with the option to add, say, an EQ5 with GOTO, I would definitely have gone for it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tal 100rs dont be put of by the slightly smaller aperture, its as good or better than the evostar, i downsized from a 120 evo to thetal and still dont regret it, but the tals are selling out fast and wont be about for ages again

The Evostar has a shorter fl than the TAL so shows more CA. IMHO the coatings on the TAL has less imperfections (none at all on mine) than on Orion/Skywatcher/Celestrons (which are of course all the same scope anyway)

The Evostar has a shorter fl than the TAL so shows more CA. IMHO the coatings on the TAL has less imperfections (none at all on mine) than on Orion/Skywatcher/Celestrons (which are of course all the same scope anyway)

Yep, all probably true, but the extra 20mm of the Evostar will make a difference to what you can see with it; it will be better for DSO's for sure.

the focal length of the evostar is 1000mm same as the Tal, but your right about better optics

Yep, all probably true, but the extra 20mm of the Evostar will make a difference to what you can see with it; it will be better for DSO's for sure.

Very true, can't argue with that but most fuzzy blob hunters would however be buying a dob and not a refractor for DSO. Now if we are talking open clusters I would still argue the TAL is opticially a better scope :D Now that does not mean for one moment that the Evostar 120 is not a wonderful scope and if the 100RS had not have become available in this country again I would have bought one, and that chaps, is a fact.

Why is there not more choice in the refractor market?

I saw a used one in Ace Cameras they said that they dont get chance to get used on there web site as they usually sell quick dont know if they still have it they are very busy in the shop but it was there on Thursday

Darn, they didn't mention it when I called. Will see if they are open tomorrow, if not I'll give them a bell on Monday.

Bit of an update for anyone who's interested.

Rang Ace Cameras regarding their used one - sadly it went on Saturday.

Also came across another hurdle - the power tanks are all out of stock too, so I'd have to find an alternative battery. Not a huge issue as we can get one from Maplin, but just makes me feel that nothing is going right lol. Lead time on the 'scope and power tanks as of this morning is early March.

On Friday evening, my husband took a gamble and ordered one from Optic Star. The day after, we discovered they used the same central supplier and would not be able to fulfil the order, so we rang and cancelled.

About half an hour ago, I received an email from Optic Star saying my 'scope would be despatched this week. I assumed this was an automatic email, so gave them a call to confirm and ask the status of my refund.

Turns out there is no mention of the requested cancellation on my account. Ordinarily I'd be annoyed, but this may be a good thing. Apparently they received an email from Skywatcher this morning saying they had one Evostar 120 left and did they want it? As my refund hadn't been processed, they said yes and it's been allocated to me! :D

As for the power tank, which was ordered at the same time, they confirmed that Skywatcher do not have any in their own warehouse. Luckily, Optic Star have some in stock and this is being sent to me in a separate delivery.

So, I am told my 'scope will arrive towards the end of the week. I can't tell you how excited I am, but I'm trying to stay grounded because it's just my luck that something will go wrong.

Will update this thread with any news, please keep your fingers crossed for me.....

I hope you'll enjoy this scope. Before emigrating I took mine to Spain a couple of times to observe and saw M101 for the first time. The nucleus was remarkably bright - so these can give great views. Construction is simple, honest and works.

Olly

Funny you should say that dobbie. Apparently the warehouse is pretty snowed under and they had to shovel out quite a bot of snow to get deliveries out! :icon_salut:

By the way, did you mention earlier in this thread that you were after a TAL 100RS? FLO still have them in stock as of this afternoon if you're interested. :)

Glad you got the 'scope :-). Hope it comes soon! And the snow (And more importantly, sky!) clears! Look forward to hearing your first light report... .

Am patiently waiting for the TAL100RS myself - ordered via green-witch in Birstall - should be in for the weekend, touch wood!

....John, shame you never got to do the evo vs xlt head to head

Yes, shame really.

FLO would have found an Evostar for me to borrow but we could not find an Omni XLT at that time.

Still, I got the TAL Apolar 125 to try instead a shortwhile later which was a bit more interesting I reckon :icon_salut:

I suspect there would have been little to pick between the Evostar and the XLT in all honesty - apart from the colour scheme :)

IT'S HERE!! :icon_salut::);)

Power tank came yesterday afternoon and the 'scope and mount arrived about half an hour ago. Can't play with it until my toddler goes down for his nap though!

If the level of cloudiness is directly proportional to how excited a new 'scope owner is, I'm afraid I may have doomed you all to cloudy skies for at least a month! :(

IT'S HERE!! :icon_salut::);)

Power tank came yesterday afternoon and the 'scope and mount arrived about half an hour ago. Can't play with it until my toddler goes down for his nap though!

If the level of cloudiness is directly proportional to how excited a new 'scope owner is, I'm afraid I may have doomed you all to cloudy skies for at least a month! :D

:(:D:D .....

I think there may be a bit of clear sky over the next couple of nights, if not, we certainly know who to blame :)

Archived