SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Evostar 120 - anywhere with stock?

I finally decided that I want one of these, and my husband is happy to fund it for me. However I've had one heck of an afternoon trying to find one!

Ideally I want the EQ5 mount with Synscan GOTO, but it's the actual 'scope that nobody has stock of. Have tried Rother Valley Optics, FLO, Scopes and Skies and a few smaller retailers. No one has stock in their own store and the supplier won't have any until at least the end of the month. Apparently it's due to the sudden interest in astronomy lately (thank you BBC!).

Anyone know of a retailer with a hidden stash?

Been looking at alternatives, but they're all out of stock too!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't spoken to FLO about the Tal, but Rother Valley said they haven't got any. Apparently there's a bit of a problem getting 'scopes from Russia at the moment.

Will give FLO a ring in the morning though, perhaps they'll have one left. :)

Indeed, the masses are flocking to buy their 'scopes. Seems I picked the worst possible time to buy lol!

Oh well, if nobody has it now, it will just build up the anticipation and I'll be even more excited to get my hands on it in a few weeks.

I suppose Mr Cox is quite cute. Just looked him up on wikipedia - no way I'd have believed he's 43! :)

Haven't spoken to FLO about the Tal, but Rother Valley said they haven't got any. Apparently there's a bit of a problem getting 'scopes from Russia at the moment.

Will give FLO a ring in the morning though, perhaps they'll have one left. :D

What already!!

That was quick, I'm glad I bought mine when I did :D:)

The Russian army must have put another big order in :), no honestly

Morning everyone, thanks for all the replies! :bino2:

Unfortunately, Optic Star don't have any so I've been ringing around a few more retailers this morning.

For anyone following this, I've found out a bit more as to why they're so hard to find.

Apparently the central supplier (Optical Vision) usually ships out approx 100 orders per week. With all the recent interest in astronomy, they are receiving 200-300 orders per day. Understandably, they are having trouble keeping on top of things and have even called in friends and family to help out!

So the backlog isn't just stock problems, they can't fulfil orders quick enough.

Had a nice chat with Jamie at Carmarthen Cameras they don't have any either but he was able to give me the above info and will find out more if he can on Monday.

Be patient and just be thankful it's not an Astro Physics refractor you have your eye on :)

Not heard of those, are they a bit difficult to come by too? :D

try this out they're pretty good and say they have stock Sky-Watcher Evostar 120 (HEQ5 PRO SynScan) Telescope at Astronomia

No luck sadly, 'scopes are shipped from central supplier who have none.

Sherwoods:

Skywatcher Refractor telescopes

Green-Witch is another to try:

Skywatcher Evostar 120 Refractor Telescopes

They have 2 shops so you may have to try both.

No joy there either. :(

What already!!

That was quick, I'm glad I bought mine when I did :cussing::clouds1:

The Russian army must have put another big order in :D, no honestly

Apparently it's due to some embargo on Russian exports. They don't want us buying their stuff lol.

I thought these scopes were from China?

The Skywatchers are, the Tals are from Russia. :)

One other:

Skywatcher Evostar - Skywatcher - Astro Telescopes: Ace Astro, Ace Cameras

People who have used them have always said they are good. As I recall one person bought an ETX80 there and they spent 2 hours showing him how to use and set it up.

Being a camera shop they may still have one around.

More "extreme" but Telescope Service in Germany have the OTA - may do the mount as well in a package.

299 Euro and postage on top, usually about 12-20 euro.

They also have good reports.

http://www.telescope-service.com/

Well this is all a lot of fun lol! :D

Have you tried RVO? They have one on ebay!

Evostar 120 OTA Tube Only | eBay

That's Rother Valley Optics who I've already spoken to. Rang them again in case they have a stash just for eBay customers, but turns out the eBay listing is wrong - it's actually a StarTravel not an Evostar.

One other:

Skywatcher Evostar - Skywatcher - Astro Telescopes: Ace Astro, Ace Cameras

People who have used them have always said they are good. As I recall one person bought an ETX80 there and they spent 2 hours showing him how to use and set it up.

Being a camera shop they may still have one around.

More "extreme" but Telescope Service in Germany have the OTA - may do the mount as well in a package.

299 Euro and postage on top, usually about 12-20 euro.

They also have good reports.

Welcome to Telescope-Service

No luck with Ace Cameras sadly. Will keep the German company in mind if I don't have any further luck on Monday.

I've responded on your post about the 150 version as well. I've had one of the 120s, also, in the past. As with the bigger one they have a very low resale value, probably because of their size and unsuitability for deep sky imaging. They give good views, though, and I like them. Just beware of that resale issue one the BC effect wares off.

There are other good telescopes in this aperture and price class...

Olly

Thanks Olly. :D Certainly keeping my options open in case I can't get any joy with this one.

What other 'scopes would you recommend in this class?

Tal 100rs dont be put of by the slightly smaller aperture, its as good or better than the evostar, i downsized from a 120 evo to thetal and still dont regret it, but the tals are selling out fast and wont be about for ages again

We're dotting about beween threads, here! For budget AP and visual observing probably a 6 inch reflector like the Skywatcher on an HEQ5 mount. The 8 inch will go on the mount but won't like even the slightest bit of wind when imaging.

There are better options for AP (small apochromatic refractor) but they can't show much visually. I love refractors but big, good ones are expensive. Tell me about it...

The Tals have a good reputation amongs visual buffs but I can't comment on the AP potential. Limited, I suspect, being achromats and I don't know if field flatteners are available.

Olly

Archived