Am I Cheating

I am looking at the Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak as my first telescope.

However would the tracking system take away from the experience?

It looks fairly portable which is a necessity for me.

Any advice on other similar sized scopes would be very helpful.

Budget £300

Thanks. Is it portable?

Yes it is very portable, however the supatrak you've quoted doesn't have Goto. The goto version is about £365.

I'm not suggesting you need goto but I get the impression that's what you mean't by "am I cheating?"

Yes, it's cheating and I'm going to tell on you and then you'll be in big trouble!

Heheh, it's cheating only if it's against your own rules. The sky is there - how you look at it is up to you. It's useful to know telescopy and astronomy terminology and principles, but the enjoyment of gawping at space things is for everybody.

There are astronomy purists, of course, but no astronomy police (except for dealing with light pollution ...).

The Goto element of a mount, is more advantageous to an Imager than an observer. It makes locating a target quicker, which is desirable when the weather is likely to interfere in your session, at least your not wasting too much time searching for a faint target.

Goto in relation to an Observer, is not so essential, although I know that will generate disagreement.

If a newbie is able to find subjects too easily, he is more likely to just look at it, instead of really taking time to study it. He will like want to rush off to the next one, and so on. I've always been an advocate of learning to find objects using the constellations brighter stars. There is always a path to follow to guide you to the location of a faint DSO.

Having said all that. What anyone wishes to buy, is their own choice.

Ron.

Not all people who look at the stars are astronomers some like me are stargazers I have a smattering of the science but basically I am a stargazer I like to look not necessarily study. For me knowledge is useful in the sense that it informs me of what I am looking at and how to do it but I'll leave the quest for knowledge to those who are a lot brighter than me basically I just like to look at the pretty things in the sky. that's why i like goto.

I had a Meade with GoTo and it made life very easy, my present set-up has never be set-up as a GoTo system , i find it more interesting finding DSO ect without and CPU help, No your not cheating but you are losing out on finding stuff and the little tingle when you see the grey blur and its all your own work..:)

Archived