Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can you spot the Christmas Tree ?

Catanonia

I have always wondered why the Cone Nebula region was called the Christmas Tree Nebula. It was one of those that I just could not visualise very well.

Last night was clear again :( and the 1/2 moon was up, so it was time to break out the Ha 8nm filter and grab some photons of this region. I have tried it before and was so disapointed with the results that I never posted any images.

This time I was rather excited when I pointed the SuperNewt at the target and started guiding. At F2.8 and a nice 568mm focal length, hopefully I would get some nice framing and detail.

I was not disapointed at all, rather shocked at the result.

Here is 3 hours in 10min subs @F2.8 of the nebula and I can now definately see the christmas tree :D

Details

Scope : TS SuperNewt 200mm 568mm FL @F2.8

Guiding : TS OAG + QHY5 + PHD + NEQ6Pro

Camera : QHY9 mono + 2inch Orange Bright Ha 8nm

Subs : 17 x 10 min unbinned

Software : MaximDL, PixInsight, CS5 and image cropped by 70% for framing.

I hope you like it.

EDIT : full sized image and others can be seen here http://astrob.in/full/4857/

post-16631-133877725852_thumb.jpg

Don't know so much about the singing Christmas Tree,

but you're certainly making the scope sing to your tune.

Some cracking Images from it despite the problems it has presented you with. There's little substitute for a very fast mirror, if only they were easier to keep in check.

This Mono shot is a really nice sight Cat.

Ron.

Archived