NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Hampshire

gingergeek

Hi all, another newbie looking to satisfy his old interest in astronomy. Have contacted the local club located in Basingstoke and will attend the meetings to learn off them. Bought the girlfriend some 25x80mm binoculars for christmas since she loves the stars also.

I'm currently thinking of a 8" or 12" flextube goto dobsonian before I decide if I want to enter into astrophotography at a later date. In fact I may put off the dob purchase until next Autumn....maybe !

Best Regards

Mark

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. Of the two scopes, I would choose to observe with the 12" because you will always wonder what you are missing if you were to buy the 8". :D:D Regarding astrophotgrapy, neither scope will be an option for any deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebula for several reasons. The alt-azimuth style of tracking (tiny steps) will show up as deformed star trails in the final image. In addition, because these targets are so far away and faint, they will require precise 'equatorial' tracking as this method is more efficient at helping to facilitate longer and more accurate exposures which DSO's require. Also, the flexitube arrangement is not sufficiently robust to handle the weight of a camera sitting on its end and will distort the returning light path making a sharp image difficult to secure. However by using a webcam, you will be able to image the planets and the moon because being both nearer and brighter, they require less exposure times, which in turn means that you will not need long accurate tracking and the imaging equipment here being so light, will not distort the tube and its light path. Hope that helps.

Clear skies

James

Archived