Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi to all at SGL from Cornwall

LukeSuppalot

Hi all.

I've been skywatching for a few years using a cheap pair of binos and a camera tripod and Google skymaps on my phone. I live on the edge of Bodmin Moor so there is no light pollution and a 360 degree view of the sky (when the cloud cover permits).

Over the past year or so I've been taking my kids (youngest being 7 going on 14) out with me and they are hooked. With the aid of a laser pen we are now able pick out and name stars and planets and even the odd nebula (the one on Orions "*****" being a particular favourite of the youngest).

After watching the recent Stargazing program I finally decided to buy a telescope so we could get a clearer view and hopefully take a few photos to hang on their walls.

What a shock I got when I started looking for a telescope! Where to start? It's a complete minefield. Reflectors, refractors, motorised, goto? What did it all mean? So began numerous hours of trawling the internet for answers and more importantly advice. Eventually I stumbled across a post by John at SGL called "Essential reading for those who are thinking about getting into Astronomy" with a link to an article from Scopes n Skies. At last, something I could understand. After reading it I returned to the original thread and noticed that Skywatchers seem to be a well recommended brand for beginners. After a bit of research and a couple of emails to First Light Optics I think an Explorer 150p Eq3-2 is the one for me. Not too big and I can connect my 550D dslr relatively easily and cheaply. I'll keep you posted.

Phew! Rather a long-winded introduction but hey, at least you know a bit about me.

Luke

Hi Luke and welcome to the forum. Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) will be a good book to get which will set you on the right course regarding imaging. What kit you need and why you need it to produce good images that will actually save you money in helping you formulate an honest budget.

Clear skies

James

Archived