NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Beckenham

feydakin77

Hi all,

I have been interested in astronomy for some time but haven't had the chance to spend much time on this beautiful hobby (work, young family,...). Last summer I decided to spend more time. I took an astronomy course, read a couple of book and bought a Celestron 15x70 binos. I am still finding my way in the night skies with the binos and "Turn left at Orion". I am on the search of my first telescope

So I just wanted to say hello and thanks as in SGL I have already found a great community with lots of information that is already helping me to make my decision.

Sergio

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sergio and welcome to the forum. To further assist you knowledge of the night sky, may I suggest that you download a free bit of software known as Stellarium which you have a look at it here. Easy to use with lots of 'toys' to play with when it gets cloudy.

Clear skies

James

Welcome to SGL Sergio.

I'm just down the road from you in Bromley.

Carole

Hi Carole,

I saw in your website that you are a member of the Orpington Astronomical Society. I would like to attend one of the sessions the society organises, I am sure it will help me to learn quite a bit.

I will check the OAS website for forthcoming meetings.

Sergio

Hi Sergio and welcome to the forum. To further assist you knowledge of the night sky, may I suggest that you download a free bit of software known as Stellarium which you have a look at it here. Easy to use with lots of 'toys' to play with when it gets cloudy.

Clear skies

James

Thanks for your suggestion James,

I have Stellarium on my PC although not in depth. I mainly use it when I cannot recognize an object in the night sky. I am now after a good android application for when I am out and about, any recommendations?

thx

Sergio

I saw in your website that you are a member of the Orpington Astronomical Society. I would like to attend one of the sessions the society organises, I am sure it will help me to learn quite a bit.

I will check the OAS website for forthcoming meetings.

Sergio

Hi Sergio, I only saw your reply this morning, we had a meeting last night. The next meeting is the AGM, so might not be that interesting for a newcomer, I shall be missing that anyway as a party of us are going to Iceland.

Hope to see you at the next one in March and in April I am doing a talk on the Iceland trip.

We have another member who lives in Beckenham.

Carole

Archived