Hello from Suffolk

RussellP

Hi

Long time lurker, seriously thinking about really getting into this so thought i had better sign up and make it official.

I am without any equipment at the moment, so have been scanning the forum for ideas on my first scope.

Also wondering if there are clubs in the West Suffolk/Cambs area?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, also from suffolk

The only clubs I'm aware of seem to be grouped around the Ipswich area.

Have you any ideas what you might like to be looking at/doing with your scope? I always think it's a good idea to approach something new from the 'what do I want to do' direction rather than the 'what is available' direction. Often saves a lot of money in the end :)

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Hi, also from suffolk

The only clubs I'm aware of seem to be grouped around the Ipswich area.

Have you any ideas what you might like to be looking at/doing with your scope? I always think it's a good idea to approach something new from the 'what do I want to do' direction rather than the 'what is available' direction. Often saves a lot of money in the end :D

Yes i did see the OASI listed, probably a bit further than i would like to travel on a regular basis.

Regarding my plans, i guess i would like to do a bit of everything really, the planets in our solar system mainly but the deep sky stuff is quite fascinating, so i am guessing the best option would be an 8" - 10" Dobsonian from reading this forum?

For now i would rather spend the money on good optics initially and if i really get the bug can upgrade with things like goto at a later date.

It would be nice to see some of this kit in action to get a better idea on what i can expect to get for my money hence asking about local clubs.

Trying out some telescopes at a local club is a sound idea and getting an 8inch primary mirror is good to. I started with a skywatcher 130p but took it back for the 8inch skywatcher 200p. Welcome to the forums :)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Hi another welcome from South Suffolk!

I would suggest amazon as a good pace to start... You can buy good scopes for around £100 and these will be perfect to get you started.

You can then spend as much as you like having learnt lots with your first scope.

The celestron travel scope would be a perfect scope to start. Quick to set up and teach you lots!

It might be worth your while taking a trip up to Whitchford by Ely to pop into the The Astronomy & Nature Centre. They have a very large selection of scopes on display that you can touch and talk to them about. Opinions differ as to whether they are the best to actually buy from but they are local to you in order to get a look at the gear.

Archived