NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

garryblueboy

Hi all been in to Astronomy since i was 10 when i got my first scope been out of it for 4 years sold my gear big mistake i now have just purchased a 12" skywatcher dob any help with what would be good planat eyepiece for this kind of scope with good eye relife would be appreciated .

Hi Garry and welcome to the forum. Well you're off to a good start there with some serious aperture! My goodness, why observe the stars when you can use that scope and simple touch them.:):D I have no idea what the focal length (tube length) is on your scope so I'm not sure how fast it is (low 'F' No. e.g F4) but the BST eyepieces are pretty good value at the moment with some decent eye relief. The Meade 5000 series in my view aren't bad either but I'm sure others will be along to suggest their favourites. Eyepieces preference can be a subjective matter if they are at the modest end of the price range as each brand will differ in their weaknesses. For example, some eyepieces will not necessarily show the stars pinpoint to the outside of the view but the contrast might be better compared to another eyepiece and so only you can decide what you are prepared to exchange 'x' for 'y'. Hope that helps.

Clear skies in the meantime.

James

Archived