NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion in Ha with 50mm lens

First test shot with modded Canon 1000D of the constellation Orion, 50mm Nikkor F1.4 lens stopped down to F3.2 with a 12nm HA clip filter.

This is a stack of 17 exposures of 7 minutes at 800 iso, camera as usual mounted on the Astrotrac.

Having failed miserably to get a colour shot of Barnard Loop I'm amazed at how bright it shines in Ha.

Last Sunday I drove 20 minutes to a dark sky site in the Cotswolds for this one as Orion is in streetlight territory from home.

Mel

6709490799_43510a5518_b.jpg

Totally outstanding. That is a perfectly crafted image from beginning to end, just oozing quality. I think you'd be surprized by how little colour you'd need to make this work in HaRGB. I did a monster mosaic with 5 hours per panel in Ha and again in RGB at F4 and in the RGB the loop and the Meissa nebulosity reallty were faint but came alive with the Ha.

Olly

I love this image! There is so much going on in this area, it's a treat through a scope but staggering to see what can be caught on camera.

I recently took 10x60 seconds of Orion, but only got a faint hint of the loop.

Archived