Greetings from Rochdale, Gtr Manchester!

markbmcfc

Hi All,

Didnt spot this part of the forum and posted my first thread in the Beginners forum but hey ho!

Well, i'm Mark from sunny Rochdale on the outskirts of Manchester. Always been a fan of the skies without every really taking the plunge and getting more involved. Mate of mine (pgrace on here, just joined also) showed me his scope some time ago and I caught the bug.

Got my first scope for Christmas, a Celestron NexStar 102GT. Had it out in the back yard this weekend with the clearest skies i've ever seen. (We don't get many clear skies near Manchester!). So far i've only looked at Saturn, Jupiter, Venus, Mars and The Moon and I hope to be able to see more over time. First goal was to find Saturn, which I did on Friday night and im still giddy about it. Took a pic on my iPhone and spammed everyone on Facebook with it :)

Anyway, nice to meet you all. Will be Sky+ing Stargazing Live tonight, unfortunately my first love (Manchester City) are playing at the same time, but I will catch up after the game and will be out with the scope tomorrow night.

Would be interested to see where people in my region go to stargaze, my favourite spot is up on the Yorkshire Moors, I even get the odd few sheep to keep me company. Im sure the farmer won't mind be stargazing in his field!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome to SGL. I live just over the hill In Halifax. Yes we have been blessed with some lovely clear skies over the past few days. Have also been out with my scope scanning the heavens. Just hope it is clear for Stargazing Live on the Beeb tonight.:)

Hi All,

Didnt spot this part of the forum and posted my first thread in the Beginners forum but hey ho!

Well, i'm Mark from sunny Rochdale on the outskirts of Manchester. Always been a fan of the skies without every really taking the plunge and getting more involved. Mate of mine (pgrace on here, just joined also) showed me his scope some time ago and I caught the bug.

Got my first scope for Christmas, a Celestron NexStar 102GT. Had it out in the back yard this weekend with the clearest skies i've ever seen. (We don't get many clear skies near Manchester!). So far i've only looked at Saturn, Jupiter, Venus, Mars and The Moon and I hope to be able to see more over time. First goal was to find Saturn, which I did on Friday night and im still giddy about it. Took a pic on my iPhone and spammed everyone on Facebook with it :)

Anyway, nice to meet you all. Will be Sky+ing Stargazing Live tonight, unfortunately my first love (Manchester City) are playing at the same time, but I will catch up after the game and will be out with the scope tomorrow night.

Would be interested to see where people in my region go to stargaze, my favourite spot is up on the Yorkshire Moors, I even get the odd few sheep to keep me company. Im sure the farmer won't mind be stargazing in his field!

And you were doing do well until you mentioned Man City......!

I'm a Red and fellow Amateur Astronomer, check out The Astronomy Centre in Todmorden, best site near you pal. I went last Saturday and joined up, its a great place and right on your doorstep!

I'll be going up there whenever its clear so keep in touch....

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Archived