More Crayford loathing.

Just gone back out to check some carefully set up subs, all hunky dory. Enter the Baader Steeltrack Crayford. Exit the carefully set up subs. Oh how I hate those things. The C word. Crayfords are about as much use as teflon motorbike tyres. I could scream. Forgive me.

Olly

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just gone back out to check some carefully set up subs, all hunky dory. Enter the Baader Steeltrack Crayford. Exit the carefully set up subs. Oh how I hate those things. The C word. Crayfords are about as much use as teflon motorbike tyres. I could scream. Forgive me.

Olly

You don't like them then? :)

Olly I was considering one of those as a replacement for my stock SW offering on the ED80 which slips at random intervals - only a matter of time before there is an expensive tinkling sound.

What sort of replacement would be worth looking at?

I really don't know if there is anything worth having short of a Feathertouch, quite honestly. Maybe a Moonlite C-word. I just don't see what is happening in the market at the moment. There is surely no need for R and Ps to be silly prices. Vixen make them for their scopes. The setup I'm using tonight is heavy, be it said, but things should work.

Olly

Hi

My optec TCF-S performs ok .

But it's quite interesting that astrophysics has never used a crayford on any of it's scopes as an O.E.M fitting..

...nor do TeleVue or Takahashi or TEC. Guess why!!?? I don't think Vixen use them either, do they?

Clearly some Crayfords work some of the time, that is not at issue. But would you fly in an airliner whose undercarriage often worked?

Olly

Can't beat a Feathertouch, I'm afraid.

+1 from me. Has been rock solid, even with quite a heavy imaging train. Even better than the Moonlite which was a beast.

The problem is your using Baader Olly.... :)

I too used Baader Steeltrack with GSO 8" Newtonian without any problem. And my setup was quite heavy - 2.5 kg. Later on I had Orion CT8 with Moonlite focuser, and that focuser didn't work. There was a significant tilt in the drawtube, mainly due to open design in the focuser body. Now I have a Feathertouch 2" crayford (not R+P) and its great. So not all crayfords are bad.

Boiling it down even further, assuming well made mechanics, proper adjustment is the key. I purchased a 2nd hand SmartAstronomy Crayford, lovely looking bit of kit but useless in operation with any load despite repeated attempts to improve it. Just before deciding to bin it I stripped it down and found an adjustment assembly, once tweaked it has produced an excellent focuser, smooth and able to take considerable weight. Better than my Takahashi R & P. :)

Gotta say I'm rapidly changing my mind on Crayfords... I've had and used a quality R&P on my vixen 102M. And never got the urge to change. I'd like that now on my AR80mm rather than the Crayford on there.

Rob

Has anyone tried the motor drive with the Steeltrack? I need a focusser for my newly acquired C11 and would love to have it motorised. I just can't justify the cost of a Moonlite or Feathertouch.

Yes. It has slipped and caused me to lose data... a terrible sin!!!

Shane, 2 speed fine focus, yes, but that is available in R and P as well. I have it on both my TEC and Takahashi. If you only have single speed an extended 'wand' on the knob isn't a bad idea.

Olly

for me it's all about the fine focus (visual only). it's so nice to be able to just tweak the focus very minutely and get it right, especially for fast scopes. once used to this it's hard to go back.

I dont dissagree here.. just hate it when you have nailed that fine focus, and blasted thing slips!!!..:)

Funny thing is the one on my 200pDS (stock cheap synta job) is the best out of the 3 I have!. Never slips. no slop at all.

Seems to come down to quality, my JMI crayford (10 years old now) works well.

But it cost me an arm, 2 legs and the 7th son of my 7th son.

The design demands the very finest engineering tolerances which arguably is a design flaw, but when it works, as mine does, it's faultless.

like mercs, the newer cheaper ones aren't a patch on the no expense spared older models.. I've had both.

Derek

Archived