SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ooh, it's great out there tonight

WayBig

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bah! I didn't get out after all last night despite the very clear and crisp skies we had overhead. I was committed to visiting my sister and her newborn daughter and stayed until gone 11 last night. As soon as we came home I was off to bed, I didn't feel like burning the midnight oil to get some limited observations in, dew would've probably wrecked everything within minutes. I did instead wake up half an hour ago and catch the lovely sight of the waning gibbous Moon, showing Earthshine, hanging up in the West above the houses with Mars shining above.

Had the best night i've ever had from my back garden. M33,35,36,37,38,42,103

Bought a military surplus oversuit & Balaclava midweek so i was toasty warm all night.

7Timer tells me its going to be clear all night tonight so a trip to my dark sky site is on the cards methinks..

If you guys venture out tonight wrap up well. The weather station is showing -2.9c and it's 9:30am. Don't think it will get too warm today, and forecast is for frost even in the heart of London, so suburbs and outlaying areas will be a lot, lot colder !

one of those nights every month will do me, fantastic seeing from a darker sky area just up the road 5mins in car( first road trip!)could see andromeda clearly with naked-eye, everything was pin sharp.I love the moon but the viewing without it was great!

Malc, you should see here right now. Frost, deep...

Great night - clear last night. We were at a freinds....

At home tonight so expect cloud...!

PS Stop going out in the cold when sunrise says dont... you know the lady's right.

was perfect all night here (north east) only managed 8pm - 1am tho. got some great views of bodes nebula, amazing to see two galaxy's in one fov :) i think the double's between perseus and cassiopeia is my new fav thing atm :D

going to be the same tonight and tomorrow hopefully.

It was a good night in Fenland too. Best view of M42 I can remember and the first time I've used my OIII filter on it. Quite amazing what that does to the view making it almost 3D :D

Best of all though was observing 6 stars in the Trapezium - very happy with that :):D:D

I hope the weather continues like this for the next few days for Stargazing Live over at Flag Fen!

Yep saw that one! Heading south to north? A distinct orangey colour as it split in to two and then burnt up...

Hmmm.... Seems like we saw different events. My notes say that it was bluish/white, and moving from Perseus's sword through his foot (i.e. north to south). A bright streak that disappeared, and was quickly followed by another continuing in the same direction.

Don't rub it in... under strict instructions from the nurse (wife) that I'm not to go out, having a chest infection... I've tried convincing her that the cold snap might kill the germs, but she isn't having any of it :)

Tell her the 'biomedical scientist' says it's ok to go out - you are clearing your lungs and taking in 'fresh' air rather than breathing in the same mucky buggy air in doors. And therefore reducing the risk of transmission to your wife and her subsequent patients ;P

Gonna be another great night here, but I noticed that puddles already had a sheet of ice on them by 14:00 this afternoon (almost a full centimetre of ice!), so I'll have to go out looking like the Michelin man if I don't want to come back in with pneumonia!

Super here again in Oldham,I live in a little terrace with a small yard, but luckily for me my yard faces towards the huge back gardens of houses opposite of each other. The result is a great view from NE to south, only one streetlight is visible about 50 yards away and this is a new white type fixture which is better than the old yellow one that was there, considering I live in a heavily populated area in one of the worst areas for lp in the UK, I am very happy with my viewing location. And the skies are beautiful and clear again tonight.

Archived