Hi from the South Coast (UK!)

SpaceMonkey777

I am presently trying to convince the girl friend that she does want to buy me my 1st telescope for my (rapidly!) approaching 30th! It's looking good so far!

Anybody had much experience with a skywatcher explorer 130p??

looking forward to my birthday in april, so trying to learn/read as much as i can till then, this looks a good place to get future, inevitable questions answered!

Hi Space Monkey a big welcome from a fellow South Coaster, good luck blagging your first telescope.

If you get a chance try to book yourself in for an evening under the stars at the Planetarium at Chichester, it's amazing, if you are lucky you may bump into Ninian Boyle, he is proper Astro tech and runs his own telescope shop in Chichester.

Speak soon Buddy

I am presently trying to convince the girl friend that she does want to buy me my 1st telescope for my (rapidly!) approaching 30th! It's looking good so far!

Anybody had much experience with a skywatcher explorer 130p??

looking forward to my birthday in april, so trying to learn/read as much as i can till then, this looks a good place to get future, inevitable questions answered!

Welcome mate.

You thinking about the 130p on a mount or the Dob version? (not that a dob isn't a mount...)

I've heard shaky things about these scopes, build quality is lacking etc, and judging by astrobabys review the stories are true. That said, the optics are apparently decent, so it's a great beginners scope.

That review also gives some realistic images of what to expect. :icon_scratch:

So basically, the 130 is a plasticy scope that delivers decent views. The alternative is to save a little more and go for a 150p dob. Much better build quality, and much better light gathering.

It all depends on whether you wanna ease into this with a starter scope incase you don't stick with it, or just jump right in with a scope you'l happily keep for years.

Hi Space Monkey a big welcome from a fellow South Coaster, good luck blagging your first telescope.

If you get a chance try to book yourself in for an evening under the stars at the Planetarium at Chichester, it's amazing, if you are lucky you may bump into Ninian Boyle, he is proper Astro tech and runs his own telescope shop in Chichester.

Speak soon Buddy

thanks for the heads up, i'm on hayling island so chichester isn't too much hassle!! will have to look into the planitarium, didn't even know there was 1!!

where abouts is the shop you mentioned??

Archived