Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some folks find a filter helpful but I've never felt the need for one personally. I don't thing they should be viewed as mandatory. I'm loathed to put another piece of glass in the optical path unless I really need too.

The best views of the moon come before or after when it is full or near full, as the phase is either decreasing or increasing. The software Stellarium will tell you what phase the moon is at a particular time to help you plan your viewing.

I hardly ever use my filter for the moon, it does work but the glare is'nt that bad (full moon is a bit much but without a terminator pretty pointless viewing anyway).

Good moon map - the Sky and Telescope laminated moon map is well recommended on here. The lunar surface features are very very impressive through a scope and a decent guide to all those names and points of interest will extend the enjoyment and knowledge further.

Archived