NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello SGL Me again, that guy who can just never make up his mind. I am ordering my new telescope on Friday. Just thought I would ask for my final bit of advice; I was going to go for either a Skyliner 200p dob or 250p my question is; is it worth paying the extra £120 ish for the 250, I know more apperture is always king, but I believe the slightly less F number in the 250 may cause more problems with collimation regularity ? Or may be less forgiving on my E.P's but then it does have a Pyrex mirror. Help please, I have been researching scopes for the last 5 months, it took me 3 months to decide on a dob, ha. Anyway chaps, any input would surely stear me in the right direction. Thank you in advance for any help. Clear skies all.

Hi,

I too agonized for months (probably years) over what scope to get. I settled for the 250px as I didn't want to forever thinking 'what if'......I haven't looked back from it and it's been fantastic. Yes the supplied Ep's aren't great (tbh any money spent on Ep's is usually a step up from supplied kit ones) and I've noticed a huge improvement using the 250 px with Celestron X-Cel LX ep's (around £60 each) compared to the initial setup. Collimation is fine, I haven't noticed any problems with needing more care and attention.

If you've already got the Skywatcher 130P then personally I wouldn't even be looking at the 8" as replacement...I'd be looking towards 10"+!!

I did do a few reports on the 250px when I got it, this may be useful http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/165664-first-month-250px-beyond-first-light.html

The 10" is worth it but as you say at f4.7 it's more demanding on ep's this does not mean you have to spend a fortune on ep's a good selection of Plossl's would work just fine. Whatever Dob you choose you should be checking the collimation before every use it only takes a minute or so when you get the hang of it.

The pyrex mirror is meant to cool quicker.

After borrowing a 8" Meade Dob for a few weeks, I went for the 250PX as well. The 8" is easier on eyepieces, easier on the back and easier on the wallet but for deep sky views an extra 2" is an extra 2" and it is noticible if not a huge difference. 10" is a big as I can go in my current house / car and I didn't want to be thinking what if...

On deep sky objects the additional aperture will show noticable benefits. On the moon, planets and binary stars less so and you could argue that the F/6 focal ratio of the 8" plus it's smaller secondary obstruction makes it a slightly better scope for those objects than the 10" F/4.7.

Both good scopes though you are unlikely to regret buying the additional aperture.

Go for the 250px. I did and have never regretted doing so. The scope requires good collimation and eyepieces to deliver it's best but the rewards are well worth it. This size scope is one that can 'grow' with your interest without being too cumbersome.

I think most of the ground has been covered here but I would add about collimation.

A 10" mirror is just starting to become heavy enough that it should be checked ( and adjusted if needed) every time it's used.

An 8" is light enough that it usually is ok unless the scope is moved or knocked. I would check it anyway out of habit.

Collimating is easy, certainly no harder than setting up a GEM accurately. Nothing to be afraid of, and a small price to pay for the views a big newt can deliver.

Regards Steve

God dammit, i was sure about ordering the 200p at the end of this month.... :(

joe, if your going from no scope to 8" of apeture, im sure it will blow you away. id be happy if i had 8" apeture.

joe, if your going from no scope to 8" of apeture, im sure it will blow you away. id be happy if i had 8" apeture.

Fair point, 10 would be stretching the budget too much if i'm honest. I was torn between 6 and 8 for ages, since i could store the 6 neatly away but the 8 would need to be stood in the corner of the room. I just figured since i'd already resigned myself to keeping the 8 in the corner, a 10 wouldn't be much different... :(

But yeah thinking about it, i just couldn't stretch the budget that far, taking the usuals into account - cheshire, new shorter length ep, dew shield material etcetc...

The way isee it is I could have got the 10" and it might have been a bit too heavy and wouldn't have got used, I had a reccy of an 8" beforehand and thought it was manageable, now its out every chance I can get. Twotters post is bang on the mark.

You're absolutely right. If you can't manage the scope you won't use it.

I was torn between 10" and 12" so had a look at both in the flesh (so to speak). I can manage the 10", tube and base together and it fits across the back seat of my car. The 12" would have been a two part lift and wouldn't be transportable for me. So I bought the 10" and haven't regretted it for a second. I used it tonight for 15min between the clouds it is so quick and easy to use.

Thanks for all the advice chaps, mmm might stick with the 200p or might go with the 250 ha. Seriously thanks for all the responses. I may flip a coin on Thursday or ask my Mrs, I know what she will say, go for the 200 it's cheaper. Happy gazing all (if it ever clears).

Archived