Another newcomer to SGL

nipper

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while, reading up on your very informative forum, so I thought I'd take the plunge and join up. I'm from Australia and hope to travel to the UK sometime in the next 12-18 months with my family for a holiday.

Not much to tell I'm planning to buy a telescope in the next couple of weeks. I am looking at a 8, 10 or 12 Inch Dobsonian. I will not be traveling with it so transporting in a car is not an issue. Lots of advise to wade through here on all aspects of the hobby. I'll try not to ask too many silly newbie questions :(.

Anyway, more when I buy the telescope very soon. In the meantime I look forward to lots more discussions.

Regards,

Steve (nipper)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the welcome. Actually I've spent several months putting together a little "wishlist" for the end of the year, but because times have been tight this Christmas I had to defer my new telescope and accessories until the new year (2012).

I will probably settle on the 10" solid tube dobsonian. This seems to be the best price for aperture. I cannot afford a collapsible tube design at the moment. I understand the issues with air currents in closed tubes but I'll have to work around it (fans?) for the time being. Also a 25mm eyepiece, a Telrad finder (I've seen one in use and they look real easy to use and star hop with) and an Orion laser collimator. I think that should get me going for the foreseeable future.

Hi, thanks to you all for the warm welcomes (too many to mention). Craig I'll certainly try an arrange any holiday to the ol' country during our Winter.

Today I drove over two hours to my closest telescope shop and placed an order for a 10 inch solid tube Dobsonian, which comes with three eyepieces. I understand they are products in the 'affordable' range but I know I'll be more than happy with it for the foreseeable future.

Archived