Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M104; Sombrero Galaxy.

cotterless45

Noticed from some old scribblings that in Mid January at 5am M104 is 5 degrees West of Spica. Spent ages searching the area, could see Corvus clearly. Tried looking for M68 and M83 in Hydra.

Anyone got any tips?

The seeing was pretty good at the time for the Virgo cluster, Leo and the galaxies around CNv.

You shouldn't have any problems with M104.

M83 is a different matter, this is pretty tricky from the UK. A face on spiral that doesn't rise high into the sky is always going to be a test. You need a dark transparent sky for this little blighter.

M68 being a glob is considerably easier.

Regards Steve

At 52 degrees North or so, M83 will be very challenging. It think it rises to a maximum of approximately 8 degrees above the horizon (9 degrees from where I am).

M68 will be marginally easier but even this will need a good clear and unpolluted Southern horizon.

Good luck, I haven't bagged these either yet.

Arc to Arcturus, speed on to Spica, carry on to Corvus. Or something like that.

Corvus is easy to find with moderately dark skies but in the LP where I live it's a little challenging. The Sombrero is also a challenging object in light pollution - seeing it from a dark site is one of my main aims for the Spring. It is at least higher in altitude than Corvus's main 4 stars.

Tim

Noticed from some old scribblings that in Mid January at 5am M104 is 5 degrees West of Spica. Spent ages searching the area, could see Corvus clearly. Tried looking for M68 and M83 in Hydra.

Anyone got any tips?

M104 is 11 degrees west of Spica (at any date) so that's the tip: find Spica and go west by 11 degrees (about a fist-width held at arm's length).

My first view of M104 was with 10x50 binoculars in Greece and I could clearly see its elongated shape. For UK it's low but still no problem as long as you're not looking into a dome of light pollution.

I spotted M104 years back from my parents' place (1980, with my 6" F/8 Newt), which has pretty clear horizons to the south, especially when standing on the roof terrace. It has quite a good surface brightness, but is very low down in the sky. As ever, LP and moonlight spoil the view of galaxies.

Both M68 and M83 I got from down-under, when they were directly overhead. Just visible using averted vision in 15x70 bins in good skies. I hope to try them from my parents' place some time soon.

As others have said, M68 and M83 are tricky because they are so low down. I've only ever seen M68 once from a dark sky site in North Wales a couple of years ago. It was only 2 degrees above my horizon at the time, and so appeared quite washed out despite +6.3 skies. I remember though being quite surprised about how large it was in my low power eyepiece in my 8.5" scope

• 2 months later...

In my 10" Dob from a reasonable site. M104 is immediately recognisable as the Sombrero Galaxy.

M68 I've found not to bad. But I should add that was from Salisbury plain (great horizons) with a 16" Dob. Not tried it with my 10" locally. May be a test.

M83 is just a b£&&@r from the UK.

Good hunting and clear skies

Regards Steve

Archived