NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie From Derby

perkil8r

Hello all! Ok, here's the story......

I'm 30 odd years old, live in Derby Uk and well, new to all of this. As a kid I was given a small telescope and a book. It was very small and had a really dodgey tripod, I could see shakey white things but that was about it really. Needless to say, I gave up pretty quick as most children do at that age I guess.. (guessing I was about 9 0r 10 at the time)

Since I can remember I have always looked up at the stars and wondered, but never really done anything with it. 2011 we went to Florida, my first time to USA, so I was pretty excited. On the plane I got a feeling of being close to the stars (okay mybe cheesy, but hey, it was 40,000 feet closer than normal!) but whilst on our hols we visited KSC. I found a re-born interest in the universe beyond earth, and have now been trawling the internet trying to learn more before I get started.

I'm at the stage of turning the house upside down trying to find a pair of binoculars that I know are here somewhere! When I find them, I know they are 10x50 so am quite excited as most advice I have seen says to start with 10x50's :(

I'm not too shoddy with a camera, so I'm thinking of ending up with a telescope, most likely reflector of 130 - 200 size and bunging the camera on the end so at least I can show the Mrs later in the warm what I was looking at outside in the cold. I'm not going to go rushing in too fast, but that's where I see this heading. So I'll just be over here for a bit, looking for my 10x50's, if you hear me talking to myself and rocking back and forth please feel free to poke me with a stick :o

Oh, the name's Mike by the way.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mike and welcome to SGL :(

If you fancy meeting up with astronomers in your locality and perhaps trying a few scopes and looking at equipmemt then hop over to East Mids Stargazers (click the EMS link in my signature) or look in the blue bars on the main page. Leave a brief intro and the guys will say hi :o

Hi Perkil8r and welcome. I lived in Derby until early 2009, Oakwood to be precise. Interesting nickname, do you like coffee, by any chance?

I'm just next door to Oakwood, Breadsall Hilltop. Perkil8r is my old racing nickname, I had a bit of a bad boy image :(

Looking to get into stargazing as a way of switching off from motorsport which is how I try and make a living 7 days a week feb till nov, and only 5 days a week nov - feb. Seems like the perfect partnership to me in respect of time.......

I'm just next door to Oakwood, Breadsall Hilltop. Perkil8r is my old racing nickname, I had a bit of a bad boy image :(

Looking to get into stargazing as a way of switching off from motorsport which is how I try and make a living 7 days a week feb till nov, and only 5 days a week nov - feb. Seems like the perfect partnership to me in respect of time.......

Motorsport? is that bikes or cars? Me, I ride a big cruiser bike and came through Breadsall Hilltop on my way up to Duffield every weekday for years!

Archived