hello!

KateC

hi :-) my name is Kate and I'm in the Forest of Dean, I have recently got my first scope - a skyliner 150p. I also got a copy of 'Turn left at orion' which I hope will enable me to find my way around the sky a bit better!

I've only managed one evening of planet spotting so far (thanks to some truly dreadful weather lately!), but enjoyed seeing jupiter and venus (and the moon up close!) :(

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Kate and welcome to the forum. Looks like you're of to a cracking start there and that book is so useful getting to know the night sky. They don't call it space for nothing as there is quite a lot of it up there! In addition to this, can I suggest a free piece of planetary software called Stellarium that so many of us use on here. It will help you further in finding objects and to also help identify what you're looking at. There are plenty of 'toys' on it for you to have a play around with (when the clouds come in AGAIN!) and you can download it from here. One useful function is that you can advance the clock and date to check when object will be appearing and from which direction. This is especially useful if your observing spot is partially blocked by trees or other obstructions that might mean waiting for some time to view a specific object - it certainly helps planning your evening given the clouds seem to come in at any time. Hope that helps.

Clear skies in the meantime.

James

Archived