Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Couple Of Skyliner 300p Querys

Hi guys. I am still in the grips of aperture fever and cannot seem to shake it. After some extensive research (god bless google) i have managed to source one of the above for a great price and i am so so tempted to go for it. I have come to the conclusion lately that its dso's that i enjoy viewing the most & i definately need more aperture! If i go ahead i will rehome the Lyra Optic f11 refractor to part fund it and the 8" dob will become my grab and go setup.

My first query is regarding the azimuth bearing. Can any 300p owners confirm that its a metal roller bearing and not the teflon pads as used on the 200-250p, and how well does it work?

Secondly, would this scope enable me to view the Horsehead Nebula? The sky is pretty dark where i am and mainly light pollution free.

Thanks guys

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 300P bought in 2007 had teflon pads and was fairly "sticky" but quite usable. The Horsehead is very difficult to view, I've heard you need a Hydrogen Beta filter (and it's pretty much the only target you can use that filter on) and very dark skies. I've never managed it, perhaps someone else can say if they think it will be seen in the 12". I doubt it.

I can't recall the precise bearings used currently but I've been very tempted by one of these great scopes a number of times over the past year. I think an H-Beta filter might be required plus diligence and a little good fortune to see the Horsehead but at least you would have a chance and I'll never forget the view I got of the spiral structure of M51 that a 300P gave me with the 13mm Ethos at the 1st SGL Star Party that I attended ;)

TBH the bearings can be modded and the lazy susan type bearings bought and added if not already fitted.

I'm talking myself into one now :)

the 8" dob will become my grab and go setup.

That is possibly one of the most awesome comments I've ever seen. LOL :)

Secondly, would this scope enable me to view the Horsehead Nebula? The sky is pretty dark where i am and mainly light pollution free.

I've heard of it being seen in a 10", but that was under desert dark conditions. The Hb filter as mentioned above would certainly help!

I have the 300mm truss tube Skyliner (non motorized) and yes it does have a roller bearing. I am very happy with it, although it can be a little too easy to move at times, and a bit of a weather vane as I have a shroud for it :)

As to the Horsehead, yes I have seen it fairly easily in this scope from Salisbury Plain and North Devon using a Lumicon H-Beta filter.

Jon

Quite simply, go for it.

For DSO's it's not just the detail it's how many more a 12" will allow you to see.

Nearly everything on most star charts will be visible from dark skies with this monster.

Pretty much all the NGC catalogue and a huge amount of the index catalogue are observable from dark skies with a beast like this.

The amount of visible targets with a 12" is astounding and as has been said, some breathtaking detail can be seen in the brighter ones from dark skies with a scope of this power.

Cannot say whether or not you'll see the nags head as this is down to your sky more than anything else.

With a H-beta from ink black skies I would say yes.

To couple a large scope with a mid sized all rounder is observing bliss IMO.

Regards Steve

Thanks very much for all the input guys. I am happy to report that after a relatively sleepless night thinking about it i have just placed an order for one of these...

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1190_GSO-Dobsonian-980---12----300-1500mm-Telescope---Deluxe.html

:)

With todays exchange rate it worked out at £727 which was leaving it only £50 more than the Skyliner. I think with the dual speed compression ring focuser, the snazzy altitude bearing system and the cooling fan it is worth the extra few quid.

There's nothing like observing in decent skies with a big dob and great eyepieces. This is the pinnacle of observing bliss. I know you will love the new scope, it's not too big to be a nightmare and will last you 'forever'. As to the real 'night mare' not sure if you will see this but hopefully with the right conditions and a filter you will :)

Thanks guys. It is shaping up to be the longest weekend in history for me. If i had ordered it yesterday i would have had it tomorrow as apparently delivery is 2 working days on average to the UK :)

Nice scope Damo.

I think it has the same optics / mirror cells as my old Lightbridge 12" did (both GSO made scopes) but it sounds like the coatings have improved.

Were the delivery charges a lot ?.

Looking forward to 1st light reports soon !.

Thanks for that Shane, rub it in why don't you :)

John, there were 2 delivery options, €40 for UPS standard and €50 for German Post Next (which i presume is next day). I went with the latter as apparently its the faster option. The UK dealer where i sourced the Skyliner wanted £45 just to ship it across the Irish sea. I tried to haggle with them a little but they wouldn't budge. It left the price (£680) too close to the GSO so i went with it.

Just to clarify the above post, the £727 is the price including the shipping, the scope came out at £677 before shipping charges.

Thanks for the clarification Damo. Thats a whole lot of performance for ~£700 :)

Gorgeous Scope Damo, congrats!

I shall join the group for jealous people... :( Looks like you get loads for your money. Lots of the little features that many people do as mods for a 200p are included as standard.

I personally like the solid tube design, so its nice to see a fan already installed in this one. When you get time could you try and work out how long it roughly comes to usable temperature? thanks

Are you going to flock it and what quality is the focuser like? :o

mine is great at my dark site,but you will need a dark site ,every thing is down to how dark your back garden is but do not think for a minute that this will let you see every thing as every one says here its need to be dark to see some of the great things out there but any light pol will kill some views am glad tis was my first scope because upgrades are not cheap

how can a 8" be a grab and go ?

Great looking beast of a scope. Don't think I could slip that one past the missus :p

Maybe I should get that C11 and say I put my C8 on a protein-rich diet (steroids more likely) :o

If she buys that, the way is clear for that C14 (may need to take some steroids myself to lug that around :()

Thanks guys. I have realised lately that the 8" dob is the perfect grab and go scope for me Todd. It actually takes longer to set the refractor up and for that reason its the dob i grab 90% of the time. I can be observing in a matter of minutes and packed up just as quick. I realise its not your typical grab and go but it works for me. I am lucky in that i live in the countryside so light pollution is not really a problem and on moonless nights the sky is pretty dark. I am hoping the 12" will unlock some more hidden treasures for me.

The GSO is indeed great value for money Adam. The dual speed focuser is supposed to be capable of a 3 kg load so should cope easily with anything i have. The fan is a welcome addition and should decrease cooldown time, although my scopes are kept outside so are nearly always close to ambient temperature already. I will wait and see what the coatings are like before deciding whether or not to flock the ota. One upgrade i will have to perform are the primary collimation springs. Apparently the standard ones are very light and struggle to hold the heavy mirror in alignment for any length of time.

Putting the C8 on a protein rich diet sounds like a plan Michael :(

Archived