Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dampness

Astroscot2

Hello all.

I have a home made wooden Ro-Ro observatory for a couple of years and this year has been a particularly wet winter in the West of Scotland, Last winter I had a small issue of dampness in one corner of the observatory, during last summer I took off the wooden corner trims, silicon sealed all the edges and gave the whole observatory 4 coats of ducks back. I also made covers over the small gaps where the front of the roof meets the runners, also little overhangs to divert water away from the main building. All seemed well…

I’ve hardly used the observatory in over 6 weeks and got a bit of a shock a few days ago to find that water has made its way in through all 4 corers with the inner OSB a bit damp.

Can I ask how other members are waterproofing the corner edges of their wooden observatories; I’ve searched the internet for some sort of rubber trim but can not find anything. I have a dehumidifier currently running but that’s not going to stop water getting in.

Appreciate your thoughts.

No vapour barrier, OSB on the frames, 16mm shiplap over the OSB which overlap at corners, wooden trim on corner edges...Its only the edges where the dampness is showing, im sure there must be a product that can seal the corner/edges?

Mark

I have just helped a friend with his obsy with the same corner problem.

The way we solved it was by filling ALL the end joints of the shiplap where they butt. Use a flexable frame sealant not silicon. Then the area coated with whatever the obsy is finished with.

The corners were then clad with 3"x 3" x .75mm 'L' shaped steel.

For belt and bracers we then filled all the curved recesses in the shiplap left by the 'L' cladding with frame sealer to prevent water running in behind the steel.

Hope that makes sense. I can post an image if it helps.

I have just been down to my (unfinished) obys to take a few photos of what I mean above.

Although not fitted yet, I intend to fit corner cladding mainly as a protector against knocks from bikes, wheel barrows etc to my obsy. These will be fitted after the final painting.

Anyway, I put a corner piece in place just to help explain how I overcome a friend water ingress. It appears to be working OK to date after all the bad weather we have had, and even a high pressure water hose played on the areas had no effect.

post-19789-133877718559_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877718565_thumb.jpg

post-19789-13387771857_thumb.jpg

Just seen the images Tony... What is corner cladding if you dont mind me asking ?

I used the same material as my roof. It's pieces of painted galvanised steel 0.75mm thick bent at 90° 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" in my case.

Is there any way to give the roof more overhang?

And do you have gutters operating?

Mine is mainly breeze block but I have gutters on both the fixed and moving parts, pror to which a lot of water ran down the outside walls and also puddled beside the building. This no longer happens.

Olly

I used corner timbers with the ends of the shiplap butted up to it with frame sealer applied where needed.

Fortunately Gina you were wise enough to use a vapour barrier, which should stop any water that passes those joints.

My mates obsy didn't have a barrier and was finished like yours with the shiplap butted against corner timbers. Unfortunately, shiplap in 5 mtr + lengths tend to expand and contract slightly even if they seasoned well.

The water got in and damage done.

Now it's sealed with a good frame sealer, which I feel adheres to treated wood better than silicon and can be over painted with wood preserve or paint.

I used the stuff designed for the job "Frame Sealer" this is designed for wooden window and door frames, sticks to the wood (even treated) and is flexible and never hardens completely. It's readily available from most DIY shops.

The belt & braces approach is best. Two skins/wall layers is best- an outside layer to hold the worst of the weather and a liner layer to keep dampness out. Barge board corner flashings keep rain penetration at the corners to a minimun and some form of sealant (I used flexible fram filler as well) finishes the job off.

Allow a large overhang on the eaves and this will keep the worst weather from runing straight down the walls. I used nearly a 12" overhang- not seen any rain running down the outer walls yet. Must say I'm really impressed with the steel cladding- all the outbuildings round here seem to made with it.

Overhang.

Dscf2068.jpg

Archived