3/4 of junuary

joe venables

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be the Quadrantid meteor shower

This year the shower will be hampered by a waxing gibbous moon but may still be worth a look.

The peak of the Quadrantids occurs just before dawn on the 4th so the final rise of the maximum may be observed without interference from moonlight for several hours before dawn.

Look approx. north and east (the meteor radiant is in the NE)

I'm sure i'll know what it is when i hear it. ?????

The USAF web site :) has an intro to what to expect when you first dial in. The incoming meteors are rather distinctive to the background noise.

Additionally, you can find further information at the Astronomy Cast Podcast, Episode 237: Spooky Sounds From Space.

There is a section on radio echoes off meteors.

I'm listening to some Quadrantids as I type this! ;)

1st post from a newb!

I saw a few. After the terrible weather today in Scotland I figured it'd be a washout but the sky is clear and my garden fairly sheltered from light. Was happy with the 4 I got. In now because I'm tired and cold.

Welcome to the forum, Matt.

I'm afraid 'tired and cold' goes with the territory;)

Haha I'm clearly not cut out for this star gazing malarkey. Nice knowing you :)

Had I not been up at all hours wrestling with my bedroom window that was blown in this morning I may have been up for watching a bit longer. It was cool seeing a shower though. Haven't watched one for probably more than 15 years.

Archived