Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nebulae in Orion -- disappointing?

smolloy

Hi all,

A couple of nights ago I had a look at Orion's sword with my 10x50's, after reading that the nebulae there were stunning through binos.

While the view was very pretty, it was no more pretty than most star-fields (in my opinion any way), and I really couldn't see anything that looked like anything other than big bright stars. In particular, I could only see two bright stars in the part of the sword where the main nebula is.

Am I right to be disappointed by this view (maybe my binos aren't the best quality?), or was I expecting too much from them?

Thanks,

Steve

Hello Steve. M42 is going to be the best nebula you are going to see in your 10X50's. A really dark sky and mounting them will show it at its best. It's easy to overexpect with this object after seeing so many wonderfull images in magazines, to be honest, a larger binocular is needed for that "wow" factor.

The quality of the seeing will have a big impact. I first looked at it through a fairly poor starter 'scope and was expecting a big leap when I first looked at Orion through my Tal-1*. I was really disappointed, the view seemed to be better through the first scope. When I'd stopped being annoyed etc I reasoned that (a) it was a horribly damp night (:p I was looking over a neighbour's roof and © I was v.tired. Fast forward a few nights with much better conditions and the difference was huge (in relative terms!) Persevere and things could, should, improve.

*So poor was the first scope that the Tal-1 is now my Official first scope.

Hi Steve,

I'm on the verge of buying either the robust but more handy 'Celestron Nature 10x50' or the, not so robust, Revelation 15x70. I don't want to hi-jack your thread but would I see a lot more through the latter? Do you enjoy your 10x50s? I'm tempted to go for the 10x50s because they might be a bit more of a quality bin even though I'm not spending a lot anyway. Regards,

Bill.

I had a good time the other night viewing M42 through 8x56 binoculars handheld (though lying on a recliner so my arms were supported, which mde a difference). I could see nebulosity extending out some way from the central stars and hints of the nebula's structure. It was a good site though - perhaps light pollution is an issue where you were observing?

Tom

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

I'm just back in to defrost after an hour or so out with the binos again, and I have to admit that heathenwoods was right. I'm not sure what was wrong the other night, or what is right tonight, but the difference is *huge*!

I can clearly see two big bright stars surrounded by a region of nebulousity stretching beyond them by a factor of 5 (or more) of their separation. I can discern that it has shape (i.e. not just a vaguely elliptical smudge like Andromeda), but I can't quite make out any internal structure.

But it really is beautiful :p

Thanks to everyone for encouraging me to try again :icon_salut:

@Aaron1996: To each their own :confused: I really like my 10x50s, and they have really encouraged me to learn about the sky, and to figure out the skills needed to track down faint objects. I can't really comment too much more since I am a complete novice (look at my posting history for confirmation of that!!), but I chose 10x50s instead of something larger or more powerful since a lot of the advice seemed to be that larger binos would be more difficult to use to find objects for a beginner, and that jittery images would be a problem. Your mileage may vary :D

Steve

Hi all,

I can clearly see two big bright stars surrounded by a region of nebulousity stretching beyond them by a factor of 5 (or more) of their separation. I can discern that it has shape (i.e. not just a vaguely elliptical smudge like Andromeda), but I can't quite make out any internal structure.

But it really is beautiful :icon_salut:

:p Nice one! You've encouraged me to see if the cloud has shifted :confused:

• 4 weeks later...

I live in a fairly light polluted area and the best views I've had of the Orion, are with binoculars in the comfort of my bed. I found over the past few evenings that the Orion is perfectly visible laying in bed through my windows (granted windows are bad), which means I've been able to sit at look at it in excess of 20 minutes in comfort without disrupting my dark sight with street lamps. Even with just 50mm apperture and looking through my windows, it has given me the best views, and after some time could really see gap between m41/42, and resolve its shape better. Agree with all above about the atmosphere, there are cloudless night and clear nights, normally after its rained on a cold evening when it clears up the best views can be had.

You just reminded me of a line I read today in the book 'Stargazing with Binoculars' about the Orion Nebula:

In binoculars, the view from urban areas is admittedly disappointing, though in some cases it is amazing you can make out anything at all.

One thing I've definitely learned is that light pollution is a major bummer.

I was trying to see the Orion Nebula last night through my 15x70s mounted on a tripod. The skies 'appeared' clear and apparently these bins are capable of seeing the nebula, but I just couldn't see it, I could clearly see all of the stars but nothing else, my area's not that bad for light pollution, I put it down to either street lighting or atmosphere. Going to try again when the next clear sky comes...

• 1 month later...

Just hijacking this thread (hope you dont mind!)

Actually could make out what I think is the m41/42 area tonight through my 8x40. I could see two little stars and then a sort of light bluey hazy 'fog' around them.

It looked beautiful and really clear to make out something was 'there' even with the naked eye, (which of course I've not spotted until now)

Was I seeing the right 'thing' - not bothered about detail but I'm just stoked that I could see something !

(Miranda who lives in the 'easily-pleased' camp of star-gazing lol)

Just hijacking this thread (hope you dont mind!)

Actually could make out what I think is the m41/42 area tonight through my 8x40. I could see two little stars and then a sort of light bluey hazy 'fog' around them.

It looked beautiful and really clear to make out something was 'there' even with the naked eye, (which of course I've not spotted until now)

Was I seeing the right 'thing' - not bothered about detail but I'm just stoked that I could see something !

(Miranda who lives in the 'easily-pleased' camp of star-gazing lol)

I see it as a grey-green haze in binoculars, with a stellar centre.

It should be beneath the belt of Orion and forms part of the sword. M42 is the brighter region and M43 the smaller circular area of nebulosity to the North which is harder to see.

There aren't any other nebulae as bright, so if it was fuzzy and in that area, you almost certainly got it. :)

If you look at the image in this posting:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/178655-re-processed-m42-running-man.html

(north is to the left I believe) I think the two stars you saw are probably the one (actually several) bang in the centre of the main area of nebulosity and the other bright one nearby and to the left.

I spend a fair amount of time star-hopping and make up loads of asterisms to help me find my way around when comparing the real sky to Stellarium. The area of the Orion Nebula is, for me, a bow tie, with that central collection of bright stars as the knot in the bow, with one group of stars filling a triangular shape to the north(-ish) of it, and another triangular set to the south.

James

There aren't any other nebulae as bright, so if it was fuzzy and in that area, you almost certainly got it. :)

This is super cool :):D

Meteors and a nebula all in one night! Tomorrow night has a lot to live up to now ;)

(oh and thanks for your replies in my other thread DKD. Your a very helpful person :icon_scratch:)

The moon really buggers about with DSOs. You should see orion on a moonless night, it can reach 3-4 times the size and much more defined, and starts to show nebulous detail through moderate aperture.

Since seeing it on a really dark night, i have taken a look at it a couple of times on moonlit nights and it just seems so "meh", but it wasn't long ago i was looking at the tiniest faintest smudge in the binos and loving every second! lol so easy to become complacent.

but it wasn't long ago i was looking at the tiniest faintest smudge in the binos and loving every second! lol so easy to become complacent.

I'm in the 'excited by a smudge' phase then :) Wouldnt change it for the world :)

And I will keep looking now I know what it is and where it is, and see how it looks on other less moonlit nights.

Thank you all for your replies - you are all so helpful!

Archived