NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron C6 - First Impressions

russ

This is only a very brief write up, so not too much to report yet.

The C6 arrived well packed this morning. Package included the CG5 mount, EQ6 tripod, 25mm E-Lux eyepiece and a 6x30 finder. I won't be keeping the CG5, although I do intend to keep the EQ6 tripod.

Gave the scope a quick once over when it arrived to make sure everything was okay. It's finished in black like my old C8, with an orange standard Synta fit dovetail running along the bottom. I think Synta may have made good use of Skywatcher Skymax 150 parts bin to make this scope. Borrowing most of the back end of that scope., probably the tube and perhaps the internal baffle. As well as the dovetail plate.

The focus knob is standard Skymax issue, as is the focus action. If you ever owned a Skymax you'll immediately be at home with the focus. It's very smooth! There is a bit of image shift when reversing direction on the focuser but it's not bad.

The coatings on the corrector look very nicely applied. And these certainly help to give a nice bright image.

Don't really want to say too much about the view tonight. The seeing was poor and the collimation looked just a tiny bit off with the high power eyepiece but I couldn't be bothered to mess about.

I setup the SLT102 refractor too and my bosses ED80. The C6 was certainly brighter than either those two, quite a bit brighter on Saturn once the mags increased. But the C6 refused to show anything....no banding and no Cassini. The moon snapped into focus in the two refractors but the C6 I had to constantly hunt with the focus to find the sweet spot. The image shift was slightly irritating at the higher mags. But it didn't matter as the view was mush beyond 140x. I think heat within the C6 had a lot to do with the poor image. The view through the refractors seemed quite stable but the C6 was boiling madly. I couldn't give the C6 any more time to cool though as the clouds rolled in (despite weather forecasts to the contrary).

But as I said I'm not going to make a judgement on one short observing session. Hoping for a better night soon.

Russ

post-12650-133877328285_thumb.jpg

Nice setup with the dual plate Russ, that 102SLT looks great up there. I have a C6 and am enjoying using it (when I get the time these days!) however it does need careful collimation and cool down time (although I keep mine in the shed outside so cool down is minimal). I think you will come around to it once you have had more time to play with it on a good night and have spent half an hour getting the collimation spot on. I look forward to your second light

I think you're absolutely right Gordon. I was a little down last night, the ED80 threw up such a nice view of Saturn. Cassini and banding were clear and easy to see. The SLT was all at sea on Saturn.....some false colour and an inability to push the mag. The C6 was the same but without the false colour.

I have APO blues at the moment. Just need a good might with the C6 to flush that out.

Russ

Looks Nice!

Especially side by side with the 102. The dual plate looks excellent! Considering getting one of them myself...!

I'm sure that once you've spent a little tine with the C6 you'll find it to be a great scope. Celestron so make some crackers.

The vixen on the EQ6 tripod looks really good as well.

Ant

Daz, It was indeed Pete and yes it's a great piece of kit.....even better considering the price. No seriously it's rock solid. Highly recommend it Grant.

Also impressive is the GP, absolutely no problem taking those two scopes.....rock steady.

I'm sure the C6 will prove a good scope. I just that first light with the DSLR to put my mind at ease.

Regards

Russ

Russ, how will you attach the DSLR to the C6?

I have a 2" T thread adaptor which came with my ED80 so I'm thinking about getting an SCT to 2" adaptor for the C6: http://www.astronomica.co.uk/Adaptors.php.

Alternatively, I was considering just sticking to 1" 1/4 and getting this: http://www.telescopehouse.co.uk/page.aspx?theLang=001lngdef&pointerid=73B9618D051948E4A42240A0720D6582&action=lnk

Cheers,

Grant

To use my dSLR (not that i'm an imager) I use a William Optics ZS66/SCT 2" adapter (brought from Rob second hand) and a 2" nosepiece with a T-thread (ambermile special). From there my D70 T-Ring just screws on and the nose piece slides into the 2" visual back. Piece of cake. The only problem I've found is that my SE mount doesn't have quite enough clearance between the fork base and the dSLR when at zenith. I've ordered some tube rings from Aunty FLO so I can move the OTA further forward to gain clearance (and balance). I've also ordered a 9x50 RA finder and rings from SnS. I do hope all the extra weight doesn't compromise the stability of the SE too much. It seems pretty solid though. I also have a sneaky plan to use the 50mm finder as a small guide 'scope for a webcam.

I also have a sneaky plan to use the 50mm finder as a small guide 'scope for a webcam.

once tried this with an Antares 9x50 right angle finder. Not so much a guider but more a wide field imaging scope for the SC1 Toucam. It did work :police: Although it's one of the only finders you could use easily as it accepts standard 1.25" accessories.

Russ, how will you attach the DSLR to the C6?

I have a 2" T thread adaptor which came with my ED80 so I'm thinking about getting an SCT to 2" adaptor for the C6: http://www.astronomica.co.uk/Adaptors.php.

Alternatively, I was considering just sticking to 1" 1/4 and getting this: http://www.telescopehouse.co.uk/page.aspx?theLang=001lngdef&pointerid=73B9618D051948E4A42240A0720D6582&action=lnk

Cheers,

Grant

I'll be using a 2" visual back with a 2" camera adapter into that. That way I use my 2" filters. Be using a Canon TC-80N3 remote control, so the laptop won't be needed to control the 300D. The laptop will be busy controlling the Orion Starshoot Deep Sky camera for autoguiding through the SLT102.

Regards

Russ

I didn't but then the first buyer pulled out and the guy second chanced me. It's just what I need for an autoguider. Specs are near identical to the Atik 16iC :police:

Archived