Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observatory first light.

ollypenrice

The ODK14 belonging to Yves won't be here for a couple of weeks so I put an iOptron IEQ45 in the scope space because the polar alignment is so fast... and then I had a first light on Jupiter using the TEC. And very cosy and efficient it was too. I could get used to this luxury astronomy. In fact I am used to it already! Things clouded over after that but not to worry, it all works. I'm half dead after the building but can now recover in comfort.

Olly

1ST-NIGHT-2-S.jpg

1ST-NIGHT-1-S.jpg

I didn't say it was finished, I said it had its first light! Did you ever know of a finished astronomy project? It's like a finished DS image: no such thing!

Still to come, a bench that turns into a bed, a permanent cable loom, render on the outside and... some interesting bills from the builders' yard... (They are great down there and think I'm a source of endless entertainment, turning up in my Panda and leaving with a trailer load of twice the car's volume. But they bust a gut to be helpful and one guy is coming up this week with his little boy to see the sky.)

What it does have though - get this - is a heated desktop so that computers can be left in there permanently at below freezing when not in use. Heh heh, I like that. You can buy petwarmers, you see, so I'm using those.

Olly

Ah i recognise that southerly view out of the obs.. Very nice Olly wont be long now and you will be catching up with Saint Michel l'observatoires but you got one up on their skies. makes a trip to you even more worth it now.

I bet once the kid has been up to see it he will want to come back i know i do and will do one day. and if i remember it your turn to cook diner ;-)

have a good christmas

Ah i recognise that southerly view out of the obs.. Very nice Olly wont be long now and you will be catching up with Saint Michel l'observatoires but you got one up on their skies. makes a trip to you even more worth it now.

I bet once the kid has been up to see it he will want to come back i know i do and will do one day. and if i remember it your turn to cook diner ;-)

have a good christmas

Thanks Grahame, a good Xmas to you too. In fact one of my inspirations came rom your pushing the need for a warm room. Good advice (thanks) and pity it took me so long to cotton on!!

Olly

I'm an environmentalist - green is my colour :)

Mind you, the plywood I'm cladding my walls with inside have such a nice surface veneer that I'm thinking of varnishing them.

Looks great Olly.

Looking forward to some stunning images ('cos you'll be able to collect so much data in comfort that you won't be able to stop :))

old_eyes

Heh, well, the first one is proving a bit of a devil. All night on M45 with the camera lens but... so far it isn't singing for me. C'est la vie. I think I was too comfortable, that's the thing!

Olly

• 3 weeks later...

Archived