Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Boren 8inch F2.8 Newtonian Carbon Upgraded Model Review

Catanonia

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

864 EUR for the corrector, 2099 EUR for the Boren 8" scope - in German shops. They say also:

Basically the corrector can be used with any newtonian starting from f/3 to f/5... the focus area wanders around 8mm away from the tube, so mostly there won't occur any focussing problems.

In the interests of fairness, TS have responded pretty quickly to Bern on my concerns in this thread.

The secondary plate is supposed to be as shown, the recesses are not for the secondary screws, they are to dig into the secondary to prevent rotation. Not sure how this would work, but will test again.

The focuser is not suppose to hit the centre of the secondary, this is by design because of the fast nature of the scope. It is suppose to be offset deliberately to move the secondary closer to the primary.

So it looks like my collimation image earlier may actually be bang on and initial visual tests seemed to give good images.

All that said, these are niggles and only small niggles. Overall I am extremely impressed with the scope and it has given me so far very impressive visual views. I can't wait to get onto the real testing at F2.8

For those asking the questions as to whether you can use the corrector in other newts, then the answer is yes.

What results will you get ???? Well you will have to spend 850 euros and try it out. Rather an expensive experiment and there is nothing stopping you from trying. Either that or invest in a scope that has been tested and proven to work.

The .bmp image I uploaded above, shows the necessary off set to the mechanical centre of the secondary. As viewed from the focus, the outline of the secondary mirror should appear circular and concentric with the inside of the focuser.....

The .bmp image I uploaded above, shows the necessary off set to the mechanical centre of the secondary. As viewed from the focus, the outline of the secondary mirror should appear circular and concentric with the inside of the focuser.....

Ah thanks mate, missed that subtle link to the image. Well looking at that image you posted and my rough diagram, it looks like I have achieved collimation. Also I have noticed that the focuser laser is offset from the centre of the secondary.

Out of interest, how does the price of this scope compare with the SW Quattro, minus the reducer of course. Also, can the reducer be used with a Quattro or GSO F4 newt?

Works on my OO CT 10 Martin, im sure it would work on others as long as you have enough infocus.

Here is my setup with the QHY9, filter wheel, TS OAG and adapters.

Bang on 65mm (recommended) from corrector T2 to the CCD surface.

I had to remove the filter wheel cover as it fouled the baader adapter to the OAG. Might mod the cover to all me to use it again for protection.

DSC00291.JPG

The goal was to get the QHY + filter working with TSOAG and get focus. I just made it with 0mm to spare. So a TS OAG at 9mm is essential if you want to copy this.

The Baader Steeltrack focuser is a joy to use. Never had such a good focuser. I haven't even had to use the locking nut when taking the test images as it was rock stable and solid even with this camera and bits hanging from it. I was amazed.

And it was perfectly smooth on the fine focus to boot. The only drawback with it is there is barely any focal travel on it, about 1.5 inches.

Out of interest, how does the price of this scope compare with the SW Quattro, minus the reducer of course. Also, can the reducer be used with a Quattro or GSO F4 newt?

Just been looking at the links of the Quattro series.

A 8inch carbon is about £650.

Add in the £800 for the corrector

So yeah about £500 - 600 cheaper, but I reckon you will need to do other mods. Easily possible.

Good luck in using this scope Catatonia.

I also have a Keller Corector for some months and i can say that that it has a good part in the good correction and low focal ratio,and a bad parts in the need of a frustrating very good colimation and the distance from corrector to sensor has to be very precise.

Good luck in using this scope Catatonia.

I also have a Keller Corector for some months and i can say that that it has a good part in the good correction and low focal ratio,and a bad parts in the need of a frustrating very good colimation and the distance from corrector to sensor has to be very precise.

Spotted that already as warned by other members with the collimation, big thread going on in DSO images about 1st image. Fun eh :)

The distance, well got extremely lucky, bang on 65 mm.

I think you might find that the original position of the secondary is correct if the secondary is central in the main tube. If you draw the light cone from a fast mirror and then cut the cone at 45 degrees you will see that the lower half of the secondary cuts the cone at a wider portion of the cone than the upper half does. One way to balance this is to move the secondary up the main tube relative to the focuser. This could be important for the photographic use the scope is intended for.

I think you might find that the original position of the secondary is correct if the secondary is central in the main tube. If you draw the light cone from a fast mirror and then cut the cone at 45 degrees you will see that the lower half of the secondary cuts the cone at a wider portion of the cone than the upper half does. One way to balance this is to move the secondary up the main tube relative to the focuser. This could be important for the photographic use the scope is intended for.

Are you hinting at offset here ?

Thanks for the post Peter, but I hardly understood it, I think. Don't get me wrong, just struggled here.

TS have told me that the secondary is offset from the centre of the focuser deliberately, so I am guessing that I should put the secondary on to the spider pretty much all the way with the centre screw with room for adjustments.

My struggle is how far the circular secondary should be to the left (offset) in the focuser

Just been looking at the links of the Quattro series.

A 8inch carbon is about £650.

Add in the £800 for the corrector

So yeah about £500 - 600 cheaper, but I reckon you will need to do other mods. Easily possible.

Add in the focuser too.. £185.00 First Light Optics - Baader SteelTrack NT for Newtonians

It take it this scope will be observatory based.. :( bet its a real pig to collimate & keep collimated.. but the rewards should be worth it :)

... so, as ever, the fast Newtonian plot thickens?

Olly

Doesn't it just :)

The real stars of the show are the ASA (I assume) 0.7x reducer/corrector and Harel Boron for having promoted it's use with an f4 Newtonian. Without his enthusiasm, clear skies and imaging skills I doubt we would be having this discussion.

I find it hard to believe the reducer/corrector only works with the 'GSO' f4 Newtonian so if the setup proves practical and effective I suspect it will be made available to owners of other f4 imaging Newtonians. I mean, why would they restrict it to only one brand?

You have jumped in the deep end Steve but if you can nail the collimation you will be sucking up photons like a Hoover :(

Did the instrument come with a full manual? Or does Harel have some online advice?

Edit; Only on reading your first light thread did I realize that this isn't a Boren Simon Powernewt. Sorry. I think it's imortant that this be clear and since you flagged it up in red on the other site I think it now is! I guess what runs through my mind with these ultra fast systems is that they are ultra fast once working but ultra slow to get working.

Olly

Archived