NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mains power supply for NEQ6?

Gasman

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tip positive and I wouldn't like to try it the wrong way. I had a board fail, but I reckon it was killed by low spikey voltage as the psu was faulty :-( It wasn't the psu I linked to at Maplins by the way. That one is still working after 3yrs in the cold, damp, frosty.... yes, yes against health & safety and I'll electrocute myself one day (it's in the bottom of a plastic tub, so some protection from dew)..... ok in an obsy though :-)

Thanks for the info guys. Haven`t got the mount yet but I assume the power socket is centre pin live? any built in protection if the polarity is the wrong way round at all?

Steve

It's turned into a bit of a competition on who's got the most l33t power solution. If you haven't bought the mount yet then you might as well keep it proven and simple....

Sky-Watcher telescope mounts.

If you buy the mount from there you get a free mains adapter. Proven, cheap and simple.

Just a thought, if Skywatcher recommend a 12v supply would any warranty still be ok if you supply it with 13.8V and something stops working? I know its only 1.8v difference and obviously it must work ok as a few of you use 13.8v? my point is you are giving it 1.8/R more amps than Skywatcher recommend!.

Steve

Just a thought, if Skywatcher recommend a 12v supply would any warranty still be ok if you supply it with 13.8V and something stops working? I know its only 1.8v difference and obviously it must work ok as a few of you use 13.8v? my point is you are giving it 1.8/R more amps than Skywatcher recommend!.

Steve

Hi,

Good question - the Synscan manual states "11-15v DC, 2amp, tip positive". I ran my EQ6 at 13.5v for a year or more, but then I got worried about my carbon footprint and backed down to 12v ;-)

Steve

Current will be reduced with a higher voltage (Volts / resistance= current). Assuming the load is resistive it will draw less current at 13.8v than at 12v.

Also current is not "provided" it's drawn, so when something is rated at 5A constant, it will allow a load to draw 5A at the supply voltage.

I decided to go for the Maplin 13.8v bench PSU - 7A version (rated at 5A continuous) and have ordered it. I thought I'd go for the better quality one with a transformer rather than the cheaper switch mode. I already have a plug to fit the mount and nice thick twin cable (figure 8) that just barely goes into the plug with a tight fit.

Archived