Hello

SNGohar

I retired as a chemical engineer in January 2011 and after seeing a programme on star gazing decided to join the club. I live at Kenton just south of Harrow.

My first scope was Mead 102 Refractor on DS goto mount purchased on ebay but mount gave up almost at once and I couldn’t find a new/replacement Meade goto mount.

Then I purchased Sky watcher Sky Travel 120 (short tube) with manual Alt-AZ mount. Optics of the short tube Sky travel 120 is worse that Meade 102. I therefore installed Meade 102 on Alt-AZ mount and started using it. I found the mount very flimsy as the mount moved during focussing. Red dot focuser is also difficult to align I have not managed to see any deep sky objects.

Recently purchased used LX10 8" SCT with EQ6 synscan mount. Scope is very good and 8 x 50 focuser satisfactory. Regret to advise that I have not yet learned to use EQ6 mount properly. I manually use it to look at moon and Jupiter but can't get to align it so that I can make use of synscan handset.

After balancing the scope and aligning it to Polaris using the mount scope with latitude at 51. Before I can use the synscan system, handset requires alignment. I am okay until inputs for latitude, longitude, time date etc. It all goes wrong when the hand set says” Polaris HA xxx" Clock xxx". I don’t know what is meant by this.

Need help very badly.

I also own Carl Zeiss 7x50 and Nikon Monarch 8x42 bins.

Hi SNGohar and welcome to SGL, I do not have the EQ6 which is a very nice mount, but there are many members of the forum who do, perhaps another post into the help section could be more rewarding for you as the inputing of data in the correct manor is crucial to the mounts operation :)

John.

Archived