NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stiched job The Ghost and Iris

peter shah

Peter thats a brilliant mosaic, Iris is one of my favourite nebs and it looks awesome like this! I can see a satellite trail or some line near the Ghost? Would it be possible to get rid of it? Even so, this is a really great image and the high res version is fantastic ;)

Jamie

Many thanks everyone, the higher res version is still only at 50% it took a while to get the balance right im glad i stuck with it ;)

Jamie i did notice the sat trail, and i will sort it, there were two others in the shot which have now gone just missed that one ;)

Incredible Peter - Simply incredible... (as usual!). I noted your exposure times (5 hours 15 mins of Luminance 17x530s in Blue, 14x600s in Red and 14x420s in Green) - Can I ask how you decided how many exposures of what length to use (and what length the luminance was?). I'm guessing a G2V calibration might be involved somewhere(?)

Incredible Peter - Simply incredible... (as usual!). I noted your exposure times (5 hours 15 mins of Luminance 17x530s in Blue, 14x600s in Red and 14x420s in Green) - Can I ask how you decided how many exposures of what length to use (and what length the luminance was?). I'm guessing a G2V calibration might be involved somewhere(?)
Yep these exposure ratios gives me an aprox G2V star callibration so thats where the exposure sub lengths comes from.

As for deciding how much is enough, with this shot i tended to give it a quick process as the frames as came in to see where the noise levels were, then moved on to getting the RGB, I was pretty short on the Iris really and could of done with at least another hour to clean it up a bit. The weather and condtions also play a big part on when i stop.

Hi

Very nice peter ;) must get you to try pixinsight would have stiched it in a few seconds

Harry

Harry stitching it in a few seconds sounds like heaven, it took a lot of work, one of the problems was the exposure difference between the two frames making me push it more and giving a slighty noisy right hand frame.

Nothing beats putting images in context. Stunning, Peter. I must admit to gormlessly spending 21 hours on the Ghost without realizing how it really forms part of the Iris dust complex. Embarrassing! You have set me on the path to wisdom.

Olly

Archived