NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

8mm BST explorer

Gonzo

Ok, this is a follow up from my other post http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-eyepieces/165118-opinion-my-eyepieces.html, I got myself a

8mm BST explorer

3.2mm TMB Planetary II

Let's start with the bad news, the TMB has a huge defect in the small glass (within the ring you can unscrew, that side you put in the diagonal).

That tiny little piece of glass as such a bad defect that I am unable to use this eyepiece. Impossible to get a good focus due to this defect, in fact you can't get focus on Jupiter or anything else.

With my £5 10mm unbranded Astroboot one I can see the bands on Jupiter ;)

Now for the lesser bad news, the BST...

I tried it on "point the Megrez to something and look through the eyepiece", I was hoping to be WOWed by it but that did not happened.

After trying to get a good focus, I was enable to have a clear view.

Popped in a "cheap Astroboot" and got an amazing view, nice and clear.

Is there something special I need to do with the BST 8mm ???

you have to always consider that better eyepieces (even the most expensive ones) will give only a marginally better view than the better quality cheapest and this even with the scope well cooled, collimated and with your eyes adapted to the dark for maybe 20 minutes. what do do get is slightly better contrast, sharpness, colour rendition, coatings and build quality as well as much more reliable quality control.

I agree with the general comments that the BSTs are very good value for money. with time you'll appreciate them more. I'd recommend using the BSTs for a few weeks, then try one of the basic free ones and I suspect you'll see a difference then.

Archived