Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie aboard

Gannymede

Hello all stargazer's UK, this is London calling. Where to start this thread? Here goes, I am very new to star gazing but recently bought a very, very amateur telescope (which I won't disclose for fear of the societies rejection) but since have become a clear sky junkie. I must say that my first glance at Jupiter and Saturn got me intrigued and since hooked-to know it only gets better with the instruments available I thirst for like minded patrons who can help me in my quest. I do intend to buy myself a better telescope but I still need a lot more information on stargazing before i do. I have been reading a lot of 'astronomy for dummies' threads posted on the internet and must say its all just info-overload. I guess experience and master-apprentice attitude is my best defence at this point.

Hi Gannymede and welcome to SGL, I am afraid Astronomy is a vast subject and to the raw beginner seem somewhat overwhelming, but patience is the order of the day, a good knowledge of how to operate your scope is important, then it will become necessary for you to learn the the positions of the major Constellations in the night sky to enable you to find your way about, such free programs as Stellarium and a copy of Turn Left at Orion will help you with this and ask as many questions as you like :icon_confused:

John.

Hi Gannymede and welcome to SGL,

this is by far the best forum for friendly advice and great debate. Please don't hesitate to post questions however simple or complex as someone/s will be there to help, particularly when you're ready to make the plunge in choosing your next scope.

Archived