Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

80mm refractors

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Refractors (even small ones) cost more then reflectors (of a similar aperture) because it is more expensive to make objective lens out of solid glass then it is to produce mirrors coated in aluminium or whatever they use.

Example: My first scope was a 90mm refractor on an EQ mount (nothing fancy by any means). It cost me about 350 euros. My next scope was a 130mm reflector (Dob) and it cost about half the price of the 90mm refractor.

P.S.~~~my 90mm (3.5") refractor gives outstanding views of the planets. It has a focal length of 1000mm which helps. But thats getting off topic.

In summary...........an 8" reflector is much cheaper to buy then the 3.5" refractor i have.

But whats the point of them if you can buy better views cheaper?

Basically it boils down to the fact that there is no scope that does everything. Refractors are great for observing planets because they have a long f/l. Reflectors with a shorter f/l are better for observing DSO's which are much fainter then planets.

Sure in general both types of scopes will do the same thing but refractors seem happier when observing planets while reflectors are happy when observing DSO's.

Maybe i have this completely wrong and someone can/will correct me. It only my opion from my experience of owning each type.

Small 80mm refractors are portable and easy to set up, and unlike reflectors don't require regular collimation. This makes them very popular "grab & go" scopes.

The expensive ED glass ones are also very popular for imaging

Small 80mm refractors are portable and easy to set up, and unlike reflectors don't require regular collimation. This makes them very popular "grab & go" scopes.

Yes this is true and big selling point for them.

May i just make an ammendment to my above statement about costs of refractors. Not all of them are more expensive then reflectors. I have a 70mm Celestron Travelscope and it cost 100 euros. Its great for widefield observing but is absolute pants when it comes to observing planets. But it is not sold as a planetary scope. It does exactly what it says it does in the sales pitch.

The really expensive 80mm are usually Apochromatic refractor. The glass they use is very expensive and they are really hard to produce. The are almost free of chromatic aberration (purple halo) that affects normal achromatic designs.

They are highly portable and their short focal length, fast f ratio and compact size put relatively little demand on a mount. These make them ideal grab and go, or beginner astrophotography scope.

Some high quality 80mm can cost twice as much as a 16" dob.

But whats the point of them if you can buy better views cheaper?

"Better views" is a relative term. My first ever telescope was a reflector, used it maybe three times and got fustrated and gave up astronomy for 15+ years until I got the chance to look at some things through a nice refractor.

Now I own three refractors and no reflectors and spend every moonless night under the stars. I put more time in with my first refractor the first night I took it out than all the times I drug out the reflector combined.

To each their own.

Allan

"Better views" is a relative term. My first ever telescope was a reflector, used it maybe three times and got fustrated and gave up astronomy for 15+ years until I got the chance to look at some things through a nice refractor.

Now I own three refractors and no reflectors and spend every moonless night under the stars. I put more time in with my first refractor the first night I took it out than all the times I drug out the reflector combined.

To each their own.

Allan

I'm of a similar situation but the reverse. I all but gave up on my 90mm refractor because i just dont get along with the EQ mount. I'd love to get an Alt-Az mount for it but dont see myself spending the cash.

I now only use my 70mm refrac (for imaging) and my 130mm reflec for observing.

Sadly the 90mm refrac is in the cupboard gathering dust.

If i had to pick a favourite type of scope?

To be honest i would pick refracs...................but not on an EQ mount.

Im curious why you don't get on with an EQ mount?

Being in a wheelchair...............when i take the 90mm out on a night i have to do it in 3-4 stages.

1/take out scope tube

2/take out mount/tripod

3/take out counter weights

4/take out EP case.

Then i have to re-assemble the whole thing outside. The whole rig combined weighs 28Lbs.

Its not that i dont get on with the operating of the EQ, thats simple enough. Its the transportation of the parts that makes it seem a chore more then a pleasure.

Thats why i opted for the easiest portable solution of the Heritage 130P. I can carry the whole thing outside in one go and be setup in literally seconds.

Thats what it is all about, is it not?

"The right scope for you is the one you use often".

I just find with the 90EQ............the whole thing of breaking it down,transporting it and re-assembling it is a bit of an ordeal.

blumming good scope though. Thats why i am sad that i dont get to use it.

I have a Horizon 8115 tripod. I'm sure if i looked hard enough i could find a solution and be able to mount the 90mm scope on the 8115.

Ah, the 80mm frac!

Although my Meade is a cheap apo, with most of the money going into the electronics, I've fallen in love with it after only 2 sessions! Lovely views and weighs next to nothing.

Already got a 102mm on order to go with it. I always thought I was a reflector lover, but fracs and Maks have proven to be my temptation now.

I'm actually quite tempted by an 80mm or 90mm refractor. They give fabulous views of a wide range of objects, and very pure star images because there are no diffraction spikes or central obstruction. My 66mm is very portable but a little too small. The 106mm is fabulous but a little too large to be grab and go. An 80mm may be a good compromise.

Refractors can give fantastic wide field views for open clusters, and yet are still able to give superb planetary views too. My 106mm is f6.7 so covers both types of target very well. Long focal length achromats seem to be making a bit of a come back too.

I have an 8" mak which gets used much less frequently because it is just more time consuming to set up, needs power for the mount and dew bands plus a long cool down time.

As has been said, no scope does everything, but don't write off refractors before giving them a go.

Cheers

Stu

For me a fast 80mm ED refractor is the perfect scope to start imaging with, and it's a keeper. It can double up as a nice guide scope, and make a nice compact, lightweight grab and go.

e.g. quick cool down time, can be used in fairly strong wind, the short focal length places less demand on your polar alignment, some of the prettiest things to image are wide angle, no need for collimation, lightweight so places less stress on your mount, wideangle so easier to get your target in the field of view.

For visual bang for buck though I feel a dob is hard to beat!

A very fair point I can see why the Heitage is your weapon of choice, would it be not possible to leave the tripod out with a covering of some sort and just attach the scope?

That's an option i have not seriously undertaken. I could store it in the outside boiler house. The counterweights seem to be stuck in the mount but thats neither here nor there.

Must stop reading this thread, it's making me look on astro buy & sell for an 80mm scope and there are quite a few one or two quite tempting :)

Surely your WO 98mm is pretty portable ?

I've owned quite a few 80mm refractors (achro and ED) but a while ago I realised that 100mm was the minimum aperture that I found satisfying, as a purely visual astronomer, so my little Vixen ED102SS is my "grab and go" now.

Surely your WO 98mm is pretty portable ?

I've owned quite a few 80mm refractors (achro and ED) but a while ago I realised that 100mm was the minimum aperture that I found satisfying, as a purely visual astronomer, so my little Vixen ED102SS is my "grab and go" now.

The 98mm is an excellent scope. I have not had the Dob out for a while, mostly due to having two children now, but the frac has had quite a few nights out and the wide field views are superb. It's excellent on planets (well Jupiter anyway) too and can easily go to x200 when conditions allow. I now understand why people love refractors so much. It looks pretty cool too. So now I fancy another a smaller one like a 66mm or a 72mm or an 80mm.

I own a 127mak on a goto and am about to start imaging with an SPC880...

This thread is mouthwatering...

Thinking about getting myself a "fast" scope for DSOs. Which would you recommend?

The Skywatcher ED 80 is a well priced and popular scope.

Archived