Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi FROM A OLD NEWBIE.

loopylewin

Hi my name is Micky,

I thought I would tell you all a bit about myself and hopefully get a few tips as well.:)

In the late seventies a group of us at school really got in to astronomy all had telescopes and joined the local society, I had a small 50MM Refractor on alt-az tripod with wooden legs.

Over the years we drifted apart but knowledge of the constellations never leaves you. So my children and now my Grandchildren get a lecture when the nights clear on where orion is or the great bear, Jupiter, Saturn etc, etc.

My wife to my surprise has brought me a brand new Star watcher evostar 90 refractor on a eq2 mount of which i have no experience at all. Iam just wondering what I can expect to observe with this scope with a little more experience with it.

Best regards. :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

welcome :) I don't know anything about your telescope but mine is a beginner scope at 4.5 and 114mm :/ but with that I can see jupiter and moons clearly and great moon shots we can also see some of the M clusters I say some as I have only found some so far lol

Hi Micky and welcome to SGL, what can you see with a 90mm refractor ? thats a very open question, let just say Messier did a lot of his work with a refractor in that range, I believe Sir PM did a lot of drawings of the Moon with a 3" in his early days. It is in the end a matter of knowing where to look and that comes with experience of the night sky, acquiring a copy of Turn Left at Orion would be a good step in the right direction and then a copy of Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders once you have found your feet :)

Hello Micky and welcome to the forums. If you have fairly dark skies (mag. limit of about 5.0) you should be able to see several of the brighter star clusters and a couple of the brightest globular clusters. Though they may be a problem locating, some of the brighter planitary nebulae could be seen with higher power once located as 'fuzzy stars" on low power. Some of the brightest nebulae like the Orion Nebula can be seen though not as impressive as with a 4" or larger scope. And Venus, Jupiter and Saturn should look nice in a 50mm as well as the Moon.

Hope this will get you started in observing. Download the Stelarium program for locating the above objects and more.

hi micky and welcome,, i have a 90 refractor f8 ,and its a great scope i can see most stuff with it i use it for visual and photographic work,its on a goto mount and i can see all sorts from clusters to nebs to planets the evostar 90mms are great scopes

Archived