Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

200P EQ5 Scope

I think you will be chuffed with it as your first scope. I started with and still use the 200p. Gives very good views and the eq5 mount is fine for visual, and not bad for starter astro-photography if you go down that dark path. Dobs are great for speed of set up, but I feel the accurate tracking of the eq outweighs this. A personal preference thing.

Hi Drummer,

I don't know many who have not had a 200mm newt\dob on their journey in this hobby (my wife calls it a compulsion). The scope will provide excellent service for you, echo comments above regarding the mount.

You may be better off starting with the dob and investing in some keeper eyepieces, and progress towards a beefier eq mount and imaging scope. And all the other kit required for the dark art.

Cheers

but as hobby progresses might need to upgrade to a proper mount.

Proper mount??

A Dob is a proper mount. I used to use driven equatorials and moved to a Dob. Best decision I've ever made.

Don't be fooled by their basic appearance you need an exceptional equatorial to match the steadiness and vibration free movement of a well made Dob.

As for ease of use, no equatorial will ever match one.

Regards Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's easier to do than it is to explain. Nudging a dob to keep your target in view is very intuitive and natural. It gets even easier when you use wider field of view eyepieces as your target gently drifts by.

Sheer poetry :)

Drummer.

You will need to find and centre all objects manually unless you go for a Goto.

Motor driven mounts are only of benefit after the object has been located.

Setting circles can be used to locate stuff but It is still faster to move the scope by hand, and when using setting circles speed is helpful.

As I said I used to use driven scopes with variable slewing speeds, but still used to manually slew as its many times faster. Specially when going from one side of the sky to the other.

Only Goto takes away the need to manually touch the scope.

So if this is a big concern I would opt for a Goto if I were you.

Good luck with your choice.

Regards Steve

I have the 200p on EQ5. No beef with it at all, however I have had to get some add-ons to enable me to get the most out of it. I have seen loads of Deep Sky Objects from my back garden (edge of large town) and the detail I can see on Jupiter and the Moon knocks you over!

I recommend you get a Telrad, make no mistake it makes finding objects too easy. Previously I used the RA & Dec on the EQ5 but its so time-consuming.

Secondly get a Cheshire (approx 25 quid) so you can learn and then regularly collimate the mirrors.

Re the Dob Vs EQ: At least the Eq5 is upgradable and enables easier tracking via the turn of one knob. You can add motors later if you fancy photography. Plus if you ever fancy a new scope you can just get the OTA instead of complete new scope & mount.

Drummer

I have the same setup (and very pleased with it) but would advise that if you intend to do astrophotography then the EQ5 is not great for this. If you can wait a little longer and save a bit the HEQ5 would be far better.

Clear skies

Neil

Agree with this. I bought 200p with HEQ5 as it has better motors for tracking etc, and the payload is more than EQ5. You will want to add stuff in the future, I'm sure. Like auto guider and camera etc. Plus its upgradable to a goto system if you use a laptop

Re the Dob Vs EQ: At least the Eq5 is upgradable and enables easier tracking via the turn of one knob..

This is another area in which Dobs are misunderstood.

A well made Dob moves in whatever direction you push it with equal ease. It doesn't need to move along axis like a GEM.

So tracking with one is no different than with a manual EQ.

Whatever direction the object is drifting towards you simply push the Dob in that direction.

In fact easier as you don't need to fiddle about finding the knob.

The only thing I really miss about EQ use is, the ability that a driven mount has to allow you to go off and make a brew whilst it tracks away in your absence.:)

Regards Steve

This is another area in which Dobs are misunderstood.

A well made Dob moves in whatever direction you push it with equal ease. It doesn't need to move along axis like a GEM.

So tracking with one is no different than with a manual EQ.

Whatever direction the object is drifting towards you simply push the Dob in that direction.

Regards Steve

My Bad.... :)

Hi

I have the 200p on an EQ5

I have been completely impressed since i first got it out of the box 3 years ago following 2 years on a smaller, less sturdy newt/EQ rig

I have added new eye pieces etc and am now looking at axis motors to nail tracking

I am a newbie but have to say that this scope/mount does all the important stuff extremely well (light gathering, image quality, mechanical quality etc)

you could spend the same money on a fancy goto scope and then wish you had a larger aperture to see more

The 200p/EQ5 rig can be built on and you get to learn from the ground up, you can always add the motors or goto to it later (i have really enjoyed the whole star atlas, setting circles & collimation journey)

You will not be disappointed with this scope!

hope this helps

Hi

I purchased a SW explorer 200P on the EQ-5 mount, and on the odd couple of times I have had a chance to use it, I have been blown away with what I have seen. I promise as a beginner you will not be disappointed. It is a very capable scope from what I have seen and read.

Good luck

JM

As a dob user i can confirm that for pure visual work with a scope that is not observatory based it cannot be beaten for sheer speed and ease. No messing with polar alignment etc, just acclimatise and view!

given that clouds are no respecters of viewing time, the quicker you can start the more you can get in.

However this is just my own preference.

I have both setups. For sheer ease of use the dob wins out every time. You basically set it out, let it cool for a bit and you are good to go. The dob mount is way steadier than the EQ5 with the 200p mounted. On the other hand, i can have the frac set up on the EQ5, polar aligned well enough for visual and ready to go in 10 minutes. Both setups have their merits. Once set up correctly the EQ mount is useful in that it will track a target with the addition of a RA motor drive for long periods without any adjustment. If i were to have only one scope though, it would be a dob for sure. Either way i don't think you will be disappointed, the 200p in either guise is an excellent performer.

Archived