Cautionary tale

Ouch. My worst moments involve my EP tray, which doubles as the tripod leg-spreader. The 4SE mount has a wedge which is fastened in place by a turnable thingy, and the turnable thingy has a hinged whatsit hanging off it (the whatsit turns the thingy which fastens the wedge).

The whatsit is made of hard metal and hangs down over the EP tray. Inevitably I reach for my best (and probably brand new) EP, lift it from the tray and smash its eye lens into into the cursed whatsit!

Ouch. My worst moments involve my EP tray, which doubles as the tripod leg-spreader. The 4SE mount has a wedge which is fastened in place by a turnable thingy, and the turnable thingy has a hinged whatsit hanging off it (the whatsit turns the thingy which fastens the wedge).

The whatsit is made of hard metal and hangs down over the EP tray. Inevitably I reach for my best (and probably brand new) EP, lift it from the tray and smash its eye lens into into the cursed whatsit!

Do you write the instruction manuals that come with telescopes?

;)

Just a quick update, thanks all for the kind comments and special thanks to damnut for his kind offer. I had a quick test of the scope this afternoon with a spare 45º upright diagonal and apart from the scratches to the front of the tube all appears to be in working order, breathes a big sigh of relief.

aww fab news ;) you made me realise that mine could fall at some point well actually its a deffo as sometimes it will fall when I am stood there but caught it .................. I have just put scope outside but I have put loads of tape around his legs (its the ajusting bit that fails) it seems stronger now lol but I will be looking for better tripod

thanks for making me do something about my stand before it fell :) I know it is not the best answer but it has worked for now :)

Just a quick update, thanks all for the kind comments and special thanks to damnut for his kind offer. I had a quick test of the scope this afternoon with a spare 45º upright diagonal and apart from the scratches to the front of the tube all appears to be in working order, breathes a big sigh of relief.

Really pleased for you.

As long as the optics are OK then no worries! Like most, I try to keep my kit in good condition, but I don't have an obsy and carting things in and out along with all the setting up and tearing down means that there ae gonna be a few battle scars!

Archived