Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I see stars!!!

Dude

I wish I could see Jupiter tonight. Unfortunately the orientation of my garden and "usable" level ground means it's not in the right place. ;)

I've enjoyed loitering, even though I've found only two things so far. Learning curve!

Iv had a little nosey out but the wind has got up now so i think il be observing from my window :-( its my first time seeing anything pretty much since psp2011 but oh well cant get rid of the wind so il be looking at jupiter thru the window with the bino's x

Had a late night session after picking up the wife (She had a jewellery stall at a local Xmas market!) Great views of Jupiter, M45 and Orion just in sight for me just before midnight, M42 was awesome!!

And I've decided, my fav eyepiece is the 32mm... Absolutely loving it... And to think, I just wanted massive magnification when I started out. ;)

everyone who starts out in this hobby does exactly the same thing, i even bought a 4mm eyepiece, couldn`t see a thing ! with your aperature and the amount of light your collecting you don`t need small mm eyepieces, except maybe when the conditions are extremly good on planets.

my fav is the 21mm hyperion and i now only have a 13mm to go with it but this seems to be all i need at this time

my fav is the 21mm hyperion and i now only have a 13mm to go with it but this seems to be all i need at this time

My favourites overall are 32mm, 20mm and 15mm.

What's the advantage of a 2inch eyepiece over 1.25? I assume there would only possible be an eyepiece for the larger eyepieces (i.e. 32mm+?).

Hi Cj,

You get a better fov and a larger piece of glass to look through and eye relief tends to be good but as you get to smaller focal length's my understanding is that there is no real advantage. What you start to consider is the exit pupil and age !!

See urls for a bit of fun :-

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

http://www.stargazing.net/naa/scopemath.htm

Cheers

Glad to hear you have all been enjoying this brief clear spell, I can't believe how warm it still is, the middle of November and there are still wasps about.

You are right about the lower magnification CJ, I use a 2" 26mm most of the time, although some objects like M57 the Ring Nebula and M13 the Great Globular cluster will take a good amount of magnification. I use a 8mm Hyperion and M13 looks like a firework going off, with stars resolved right into the core.

Have a go with some of my eyepieces next time we get together and see what would suit you.

You can borrow mine, personally I would get " The Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders", a bit of a cheesy title, but far better value for 500 plus pages, and it takes over where TLAO ends.

Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders: From Novice to Master Observer DIY Science: Amazon.co.uk: Robert Bruce Thompson, Barbara Fritchman Thompson: Books

Archived