Not even a novice

punchy

Hello from Derbyshire, telescopes have been on my mind again and this time I am determined to get something or some were with it.

I have a photography background and have taken moon shots with a very limited 50mm lens, long exposures of star trails with 28mm and messed about with infra-red, this was a few years back all done with film and cable release.

So now I want to start with some basic astronomy and move on later to taking photos its all quite confusing with the amount of scopes, DSLR fittings and who knows what else.

This part is were you have heard it all before but I am considering the Celestron Astromaster 130EQ (I have heard the red dot is terrible so might need to replace it) but open to any other ideas my budget will go to £220. One more thing can you recommend a astronomy book for beginners.

Thanks all

matt.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Matt and welcome to SGL :)

The 130 is a nice size for a starter scope but if you can stretch the budget another £50 or so the 150P EQ3-2 will show you so much more than the smaller tube due to it's bigger light grasp. Alternatively they go for around £180-£200 s/h around 1-2yrs old (depending on condition).

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html

A good book covering astrophotography and scopes would be "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards.

If you'd be interested in meeting like minded local astronomers for some observing or to see equipment and scopes, click the link in my signature for East Mids Stargazers (EMS) - leave an intro and the guys will say hi and give you more details :(

Hi and welcome,

I use a book called Guide to the night sky by Phillipe Henarejos. I find it gives good basic information ina n easy to follow format. It also gives good bacic information regarding what can be seen with what, ie eyes, binoculars or scope.

clear skies.

rapallokid

Hi Matt

Welcome to SGL

I'll reinforce Brantuk in recommending the 150P. My friend has the Astromaster 130 and from what he told me it is difficult to achieve focus when using a DSLR (please correct me if wrong!)

THe 150p is a cracking scope and you can see what sort of images you can get with it. (It's my current favourite scope!)

Hope that helps and good luck

Cheers

Jamie

Just had a look at the Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2 AM I correct in assuming that the image will be upside down? If so can it be switched around so its vertical erect?

Upside down is by design I believe.

If your viewing the night sky it should not matter as the Universe should not have any other orientation besides North Celestial Pole etc

If you are doing land based imaging then I do not have an answer and will leave that for the wider audience.

All newtonians will show an inverted image, and it's also wrong way round too - unless you introduce corrective optics in the light train (not usually done with newtonians). Of course you can allways turn the camera to the orientation you want.

A lot of folks go for a right angle correct image finder (raci) when using the scope visually - it's just something that becomes second nature with a bit of practise :)

thanks for all the input here hmm think the budget might have to be stretched a little more.

I was thinking of having a mess with land based viewing hence trying to get an image as we would so through our eyes.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Books wise, 'Making Every Photon Count', will certainly give you all you need to know about imaging and what you need. From an observing perspective, I would recommend Turn Left At Orion which not only lists you a whole host of objects to look at but will also tell you how to find them. Well laid out and illustrated and certainly cheaper to buy on Amazon etc rather than in the high street. make sure yo buy the spiral bound version as it's the latest edition with all the updated tables etc.

Clear skies

James

Hi and Welcome,

Your best bet is to listen to the guys above, buy the book first and save a few extra bucks for the better scope. Often we get so antsy and buy the first scope that seems adequate, then realize the "bug" or "fever" caused by astronomy will make you want a better rig. Be patient and see if you can hold out for a bit longer, you wont regret it:)

Archived