Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First image for yonks! Sunspot today.

Kaptain Klevtsov

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's uncanny, but so far whenever I get my scope on that sun of ours, you get your camera out on the same day.

I saw that spot, but if I may be so bold, I think I saw more detail in it than you got in that picture... :?

I was looking at ca 3.30pm.

This is a full disc shot from today using the PST and Atik 16HR camera. The yellowy colour is fake, done in Photoshop.

what colour does it normally appear visually? Does it ever change?

I hoped that if I looked at the sun in white light when it was orange and setting, it would look orange....

nope - white. :D

nice picture though.

Andrew

Andrew, the colour is red through the PST, the shade of red that Ha light comes in, so it never changes.

The detail is poor in this snap as the seeing was awful and the focus was coming and going a lot. I also think that there were high clouds as the sky is full of them now.

Thanks for the comments chaps.

Captain Chaos

I saw that spot, but if I may be so bold, I think I saw more detail in it than you got in that picture... :?

what colour does it normally appear visually? Does it ever change?

I hoped that if I looked at the sun in white light when it was orange and setting, it would look orange....

nope - white. :D

Andrew

1) It's entirely possible you saw "more" detail in the sunspots than an H-alpha picture because SS's are more white light features. Sometimes, they disappear altogether in HA, with just the layers of plasma following magnetic field lines around the spot are visible. I'd say, "different" details, rather than "more". A fine point, I know...

2) If you could travel into space and look at the Sun in its natural color, it would appear mostly whitish-yellow. It appears yellow at midday because of the contrast with the blue sky. It appears orange at sunset because of the miles and miles of atmosphere the light must pass through to land on your retina.

3) The Baader solar film renders light from the Sun in the mid-range of light. Namely, green through yellow. This shows up to your brain as white, when combined. This is also the most sensitive part of your visual cortex, and the area that the Sun emits the most energy, not coincidentally. So, if you filter out the orange part caused by the atmosphere, you still get white.

HTH.

P.S., Nice pic, CC!

Nice shot CC. Isn't it good to have something to see at last!? There was a nice prominance today too.

I'm hoping to get the watec on the PST. Can you get the Atik to focus on its own, or do you need a barlow or focal reducer?

Thanks

Helen

Chubs, I'll try to remember to post the B&W version tomorrow.

Helen, I need to use just the lens bit off the Barlow screwed into the nosepiece adapter to get it to focus. I can just get the full disc as I use a nosepiece that I sawed the end off to reduce the magnification of the Barlow lens.

Captain Chaos

Chubs, I'll try to remember to post the B&W version tomorrow.

Helen, I need to use just the lens bit off the Barlow screwed into the nosepiece adapter to get it to focus. I can just get the full disc as I use a nosepiece that I sawed the end off to reduce the magnification of the Barlow lens.

Captain Chaos

SO do you see B+W image visually through EP ?

Chub PS sent you PM

Chubs,

This will give you an idea of the colour through the PST. Its taken holding a point and shoot camera to the eyepeice (with lousy focus, probably the wrong setting, and a bit of camera shake!).

http://www.iseestars.net/?pgid=user-image-view&imageid=7411&input=50

You can see why I'm asking CC for advice on getting it captured with my proper camera!

Helen

Archived