Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

dark spot on one of jupiters bands ?....

smt1988

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great viewing (mostly). Got up to x200, pretty good views, not easy with my dodgy focuser though. #11 filter gave brilliant contrast

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

Skywatcher 130. 9mm 12mm 15mm 20mm 32mm revelation eps. Meade 10 x 50 bins.

Looking through my 10" Dob with medium power eyepieces, I could make out the Belts and the barges. The GRS was seen but was still hard to make out. The image was bright but I couldnt help feeling that a filter may have made the markings and GRS a bit more obvious.

Any recommendations for a good Jupiter filter? :D

Is there somewhere I can find out the rotation of Jupiter in terms of the big spot, the moons and when shadows are in transit?

I too thought I was looking at a shadow, but it didn't seem to move quick enough, and it was there after 9pm on Saturday, so I assume it was a barge (although it looked very sharp, round and black). I've only got a 8" newt, with 9mm eyepiece, so couldn't be sure.

Sounds like the barge, they are quite dark and well defined, easier to see than GRS in some ways because it is so pale at the moment. The shadow transit finished earlier I think.

Plenty of places to check jovian moon transits, shadow transits too, someone will be along to post a link very soon I'm sure

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Spotted two barges in the NEB yesterday, they were positioned so symmetrically that they almost looked like little eyes. Seeing was very patchy yesterday, just very occasionally showing reasonable detail. 200x was stretching things, 143x was optimal, so I could not be bothered to get the imaging kit out. Still quite an amusing view of Jupiter. Almost like a little smiley.

Saw a very similar view a little while ago and thought exactly the same thing. Funny :-)

How long do barges hang around for? Seems like the current ones have been there for some time

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Is there somewhere I can find out the rotation of Jupiter in terms of the big spot, the moons and when shadows are in transit?

I too thought I was looking at a shadow, but it didn't seem to move quick enough, and it was there after 9pm on Saturday, so I assume it was a barge (although it looked very sharp, round and black). I've only got a 8" newt, with 9mm eyepiece, so couldn't be sure.

Jupiter 2.0

Download and install the program and change the language to English.

Good program :)

(Credit goes to whoever passed it on to me) :)

Archived